Chapter 8 - Muzan Kibitsuji

Deep within the foliage, hidden amongst the green, a figure stands. Their shoulders have a definite masculine set to them, and as they walk with a wide, confident gait that is bound to change in a small while, the musculature of their body is evident. They walk past the demon child and red-haired boy; the child turns their head as though sensing something, so the figure ducks before they are spotted. Breathing a sigh of relief, the figure stands again and makes their way back to their Master.

"Master." Kneeling on the ground with one knee, they look up, careful not to make eye contact. "I've found them."

"Excellent work, Akaza." The man in the white suit stands. His hair is a dark, ebony pitch, which contrasts with the currant-red eyes set deep into the perfect skin of his face. His skin is pale, as though no blood whatsoever runs beneath it, but that's far from the truth. The man adjusts the hat on his head and smiles. "You truly are my favourite. Where was my child?"

"Deep in a village unknown, near the Tera Temple. But... there was someone else."

"Who, Akaza?" Akaza sucks in a deep, fearful breath. "Don't keep me waiting." The Master's voice is gentle, softer than the down on a crow. His smile is dangerous, full of fangs and untold secrets, and those fangs could just as well signify the end of Akaza's life.

"The boy. The boy with the Hanafuda earrings."

"I see."

The Master begins to pace, unexpectedly. "Do you know why I wish to regain my child?" he demands.

Akaza is quick to reply. "N - no, Master."

"Ask me why."

"Why?"

The Master pauses abruptly and grins, showing immaculately white teeth. "Power. My child is the most powerful being, apart from me, though they wish not to even use a Blood Demon Art. Don't misunderstand - they certainly have one, it's just that they're too kind. But might I tell you something?" He leans in close. "With only the smallest amount of my blood, they would be more powerful than me. So why haven't they done that? Why haven't they taken any of my blood?"

"I - I don't know, Master."

"Well then, ask me why," the Master smiles, leaning back again.

"Why doesn't your child have any of your blood?" Akaza gulps.

"Because I am not dead."

"I - I don't understand."

This time, the Master rests on his haunches so that he may see eye to eye with Akaza. The te soon is thick; with the wrong word, the Master's playful mood may stop, just as with one poke too many, the mood of a taciturn, rabid dog may switch.

"This child is my heir. If I die, my power will be bestowed upon them. This is why my child ran away, instead of confronting me and killing me like a true being of my blood. They can either do that, or they may do one other thing."

"What is that?"

"Kill the boy with the Hanafuda earrings." Muzan Kibitsuji grins a viper-like smile. "Kill Tanjiro Kamado and the world is theirs. For only when the bearer of the earrings die, will I finally rest myself. So Akaza, I have a task for you. Follow my child. Follow them until the blood moon in two weeks. And then take them to me. I think I'd like a... family reunion." He chuckles at his own twisted joke.

"Yes, Master."

***

As you prepare to leave the inn, an uncomfortable itching sensation settles in your right ear. You itch at it impatiently as you sheathe your sword. "Are you OK?" Tanjiro asks. You smile back.

"Nothing. Just an itchy ear."

Tanjiro grins. "Be careful. People often say that when your right ear itches, people are saying bad things about you."