22. ends as it begins

Start from the beginning

"Because I don't want you to get hurt, Hayoon," He replies, but he knew he had done all the damage he could. "Because I know you still hate them."

I frown, even when my heart agrees. "It's not their fault."

"I know it's not," Sunoo then points at me, at my heart. "But you can't deny how you feel, Hayoon. I know you still want to talk to their family, no matter who it is. Now, you know who it is–"

"Give it up, Sunoo," I stand, shaking my head. I reach toward him, hugging him, and he freezes. "Don't be so stiff. You might be hurting my feelings right now, but I hope you know I still love you. Platonically, of course."

"Hayoon–"

"I'm done chasing for some kind of closure. My mother wouldn't want that–both my real and my step," I let go, chuckling. "So, even if it's Heeseung, even if it's Yuri, don't pester me about it anymore. I'll let go."

I feel his arm linger across my body even as I've fully backed away. "Be safe on the way home, Sunoo. I'll see you tomorrow in class," I smile, even as a hurtful stare probably expresses itself on my face. "We can talk about something else then."

And, I turn away, feeling my feet chase after themselves. The wall of held-in tears finally breaks, and I have to continue using my fingers to wipe the effortless tears that fall. I walk a bit faster until I feel Sunoo's gaze leave my back.

But instead, I feel it on me all the way home.

"Hey, Hayoon?"

"Hayoon?"

"Ha~ Yoon~"

"HAYOON!" Yuri shouts, causing me to jump. I glare, soon seeing Heeseung in front of me with his test. She frowns, crossing her arms. "Why are you so out of it today? I haven't seen you like this since the days my brother hurt your feelings."

"Shut it, Yuri," Heeseung says, causing me to chuckle. He directs his stare to me, a hand behind my head as he rubs it. "Darling, is everything okay?"

"Yes, just a bit tired. I was out late last night," I reply, faking a yawn to make it seem like I really was tired. As girls, we fake a lot of things, so, Yuri could see right through me. However, happily blinded by love, Heeseung believes me. "Sorry, it's just been a long day already. Forget that, though, what did you get on your test?"

"You first," He lets go, getting ready to flip over his test.

"No, you can go first."

"No, darling, you!"

"No, Heeseung, you!"

"Hayoon–"

"Both of you flip at the same time! God, you lovebirds!" Yuri whines, causing us both to laugh at her behavior. However, my smile slightly falls, remembering what Sunoo said. "Three, two, one, go!"

Together, Heeseung and I turned over our tests–and unfortunately, we both got ninety-nines. We both curse, slamming the paper down on my desk. Yuri flinches, jaw-dropping at our annoyance. "Why are you both so upset?!"

"No checkmate this time. I guess dating makes your minds synchronize," That is Disappointing to hear.

"Or, you cheated again," I joke, making him punch my shoulder. "Ow! You're dating me, and you're hitting me! What's wrong with you!"

"You keep saying stupid stuff, like always," He chuckles but caresses the part he hit. "Anyway, good job, darling. You may not have one-upped me, but you got a good score."

"No score is good unless I beat you..." I mumble, turning to Yuri. She begins pulling on my sleeve, and I know she wants to talk to me. "Heeseung, we'll be right back. I need to ask Yuri something."

"Go ahead," He beckons, leading Yuri to pull me with her outside the classroom. She slams the classroom door closed, making sure to face it in case he was going to eavesdrop. I cross my arms, furrowing my eyebrows. "What's the problem?"

"I should be asking you that! I may be in love with you, but I can see right through you," I press my lips, so she begins shaking me. "C'mon, tell me, Hayoon!"

"It's really nothing–but I guess I have a question for you, Yuri," She begins to get nervous, eyes widening. "No, it's nothing about you or our friendship. Just... did something happen to you when you were young?"

"Err, let me think. Nobody's really asked me that," She hums, thinking, but then, it clicks. "Oh, yes–I still feel bad for the girl to this day. My mom and dad, you see, we got into an accident..."

"Stop there," I pause, putting my hand up. She grabs my hand, playing with it. "Yuri, do you know the girl? Where did she go after the car crash?"

"The girl?" She questions, pouting. "No, I don't–"

Then, she pauses again, hands stopping their movement against my fingers. "Wait a second, Hayoon... how do you know about this?" But I couldn't reply. She takes a step back, eyes becoming glassy as they stare back at me. I sigh, trying to hold onto her hand, but she stays away. "You... are you... her?"

"Yuri–"

"No, I shouldn't even ask. I see it now–you guys look the same," She aimlessly chuckles. I try to meet her gaze, but no matter which way I look, she avoids me. "I'm sorry, Hayoon, I- I... I need some time to register this. I have to go. Tell my brother I'll see him at home–holy crap–I have to go."

"Yuri, please, I don't–" But she doesn't listen. She turns away, speeding away from me. I felt like a piece of my heart was gone, but everything was confirmed.

Heeseung was the boy hidden by the hospital curtains.

And the girl, who prayed for discipline and peace...

was Yuri.