Chapter 1

"Cavalry forward!" My officer Ross Poldark shouted.

The excited steeds were foaming at the mouth as we advanced, their hooves stamping against the dry leaves of the forest which was to serve as our battlefield and many of us, our final resting place. not a single horse shied or spooked as the rifles were fired at us or behind us. The forest was dusted with the powder from the rifles as they were fired.

My horse was the boldest he was a great beast, he had a chocolate brown coat with four white socks, a white stripe down his nose and a black mane and tail. We galloped ahead of everyone else even if Ross was trying to tell me to slow down I didn't listen.

I was always headstrong, I was to stay home and do the chores there but I didn't want to I wanted to help my country, disobeying my mother and heeding my fathers encouragement I took off to the town and walked into the hall where I enlisted into the army. "If you're going to be headstrong with me, I don't know how your officer is going to keep you under control" He said as he taught me how to fire a rifle.

My horse leapt over a mound of fallen soldiers laying in their own blood, we just missed a musket ball hitting us, I hauled my sword out and every soldier we passed tasted the blade, their life stream coating my weapon my horse and I were on a roll till he came to an abrupt stop, there in front of us stood American and French soldiers their rifles were mounted with bayonets and they began to advance, and fire at us. "Retreat" I yelled as we were outnumbered, so we wrenched our horses heads around and galloped back.

Horses and riders fell beside me, all that could be heard was the rifles being fired, the cries of men as they died and the whinnying of horses as they lay dying, Ross was just appearing in to my view, he was yelling at us to turn around and fight, just as I reached him my horse was shot he reared up and threw me off into Ross knocking his feet out from under him, my head hit a log making me dazed.

"Sorry sir" I wheezed trying to sit up.

"You fool!" He growled picking up a rifle and then firing it at the advancing soldiers in front of us, all of a sudden a soldier comes running out of no where and slashes Ross across the face, I watched in horror as my officer fell the left side of his face split open and blood leaking from his wound. I had no choice but to fight, I took the pistol from my officers holster and carried on shooting the soldiers who kept coming and coming we were overwhelmed and my fellow army members were dropping like flies, only a handful of us were still standing but that soon ended as we were being fired at by multiple soldiers, most of them dropped there and then, but I was determined to fight on.

Fighting the pain, I advanced with just a pistol and sword and I took on the advancing soldiers cutting down as many as could, till a bayonet was thrust into my side and I fell at the side of my officer, my body convulsing as my blood made its way up my throat, then I passed out. A few hours later and I wake up, pulling myself off the floor I was still in pain, my wounds needed to be treated as did Ross' who was still unconscious, only a few of us actually survived. One soldier helped me to drag our officer away from the battlefield and back to the camp, where people were already being seen to.

I treated my own wounds, and once they were bound I treated my officers. I cleaned it, then stitched it up for him, I knew it would leave a nasty scar on the left side of his face but at least it had a story behind it, but most all I was pleased he was alive. The soldiers who survived were dismissed and we were sent home, I gave my officer one final look before being taken home to Cornwall, I didn't realise how much I missed it when I fought in that war zone, I breathed in the sea air as the carriage passed the high cliffs, I was happy to be home.

The carriage came to my families farm, my father rushed out of the door as he heard the carriage and he waited for me, I gathered up my bags and rushed out of the carriage which pulled away and I ran into my fathers arms.

"You survived!" He exclaimed wrapping me in a loving embrace, my mother soon rushed out as he heard my father say that.

"You're home" She exclaimed hugging me.

"Who was your captain?" My mother inquired.

"Ross Poldark" I answered.

Please vote and comment