Chance Meeting (Cinnabay x Reader)

Fluff fic requested by DJmelodii

1,278 words
---

If there was one thing you hated about cities: it was way too hard to find who you're looking for.

It wasn't exactly like you could blame your cousin from running away from the function. For one thing, it was boring and the boredom was probably gonna kill them. Also, their father was invited. You're not sure who thought that was a good idea. Your aunt probably protested the hell out of it, but you ended up seeing your uncle anyways, and nobody was allowed to catch a break from their constant bickering.

All your Aunt Harmonii told you about where to possibly find them was to look for their friends, Cinnabay and Biggie Cheesecake, as they were likely with them. She also showed you a photo of them from ten years ago, like that would help. Your aunt also directed you to the city, for some unknown reason. You didn't protest against this, as you just wanted to get it over with.

So there you were, wandering the concrete jungle known as New Cadence, not sure where to start looking.

The sun was sinking below the buildings, sunlight hitting certain areas in streaks of orange-yellow. The city stayed active as ever in spite of the dwindling time. Billboards and signs illuminated the darkening area and drowned out the stars that would've normally began dotting the sky overhead. The scent of different restaraunts flew through the air alongside the conversations of other pedestrians. The roar of various vehicles driving past filled your ears.

Yea. It was gonna be pretty much impossible to find you cousin among all this.

Maybe I should just go home, You groaned mentally as you kicked an empty soda can that was laying in your way. If Mel wants to be someplace else until the function's over, why should I stop them? Our family's pretty shitty anyway. Well, except Harmonii, I guess.

Suddenly, a peculiar sound caught your attention. You realized you made it to a less crowded section of the city. Only a few other people were walking along the sidewalks here. The buildings in this area were made of brick, with fire escapes positioned under some of the windows. The few people here were likely walking or playing around with one another. Things like potted plants or little figurines were on the windowsills. Some windows even had a few cats looking outside of them. An apartment complex, You realized.

The sound from earlier rang out again. It sounded like a loud, angry hiss. You thought it was a snake at first, but then you realized how abruptly it kept starting and stopping at varying intervals. You also heard laughing and talking. It's coming from the alleyway you've stopped by.

One of the voices sounds like Melodii.

What're they up to?

You started to walk into the alleyway. You felt claustrophobic. It wasn't so easy to predict how narrow it would feel from the outside. As you look around at the walls, you realized that they were almost entirely covered in graffiti, mainly blue, pink, and purple. One of these drawings bore a resemblance to the teenagers you saw in the photo your aunt gave you, just older-looking. They've been here, alright, You noted to yourself, just moments before you bumped into something---or someone.

"Hey, wha---"

Looking upwards, you meet eyes with a woman who was much taller than you'd expected. Her hair was mainly pink, with two buns that looked like cinnamon rolls. Her eyes were a comforting shade of pink, covered by a hot pink visor. She wore a white tank top, cream-colored pants, and pink roller skates.

This was undoubtedly Cinnabay, the girl in the photo. She was just older now, obviously. You weren't lying when you thought that she was actually kind of hot. A small blush formed at the tips of your cheeks, which you desperately wished you could hide. Cinnabay didn't seem to notice.

"Who are you?" Cinnabay asked sternly as she crossed her arms. "Oh, um, I-- Well---" You began. "I-I'm Y/N... I was looking for... my cousin... and I thought I heard them..."

"...Whose your cousin?" She asked with a raised eyebrow. "Oh, they're name's Melodii. They're about 3 feet tall, wears a pink sweater all the time... ring a bell?"

Cinnabay stared at you for a long moment. The longer she looked into your eyes, the redder you felt your face getting. There was no doubt she'd noticed you getting flustered by now, but if she had, she certainly wasn't showing it.

"Alright, fine, come with me," She finally said before grabbing your wrist and pulling you deeper into the alleyway. You swallowed a yelp at the motion and forced yourself to follow her. Your heart thrummed strongly in your chest as you walked. It was no secret at this point that you were an absolute sucker for Cinnabay, and you had no plans of hiding it at this rate. Not like anybody else was around to know.

Even though she kept walking, Cinnabay turned her head to look at you. You both briefly made eye contact before she smiled, winked at you, and turned her focus back to the path in front of the two of you. You weren't sure if your face could get any redder. You started to sweat nervously.

She definitely noticed.

"Y/N?" Melodii called as they materialized from further down the alley. A man about as tall as Cinnabay followed. He had hair that looked like a slice of cheesecake, and his eyes were a blue that matched the blueberry jam (?) on his hairdo. He wore a blue track suit with cream-colored pants. The man was definitely the other sibling, Biggie Cheesecake.

"You know this guy, Mel?" Biggie asked. Melodii nodded. "Yup! They're Y/N, my cousin!" Melodii said. "Why are you here, by the way?"

You sighed deeply. "Your mom wanted me to find you and bring you back," You said. "Oh..." Melodii sighed. "Well, I'm not going back 'til my dad's gone." They huffed and crossed their arms. "Honestly, that's super fair," You admitted. "I don't really wanna go back either. Mostly because it's boring though. Not sure what's up between your parents."

Biggie eyed you with a long, skeptical glare. You could feel your heart rate speed up, but not on the same way as when you looked at Cinnabay. This time, your heart was acting more out of fear. You knew this guy could snap you in half in seconds if you made a wrong move.

"I mean, I guess you can hang with us," Cinnabay finally said, which is when you noticed that you could feel her pulse through your hand, and you realized she never actually let go of your wrist. "Any friend of Mel's is a friend of ours, right, Biggie?" You look at Biggie, who is still looking at you with a cross expression, but he sighs and nods. You swore you could see a small smile on his face. It felt nice that you were making friends.

"Sure, I'll stay with you guys," You said. "Nothing really that interesting was going on at the reunion anyway."

Deep down, you were actually very curious about what was going on between your aunt and uncle. You'd have gone back by now and left Melodii with their friends so that you could find out. It was just... her. You wanted to hang out with Cinnabay, although you only just met her. Something about her was absolutely lovely, and you wanted to spend more time with her if it meant finding out what it was.

The function could wait.

---

I didn't know how to finish this but I DID IT YIPPEE