Chapter Two

"What's the distance of the target?" Emilek asked while two the two teens looked at the small cat, a ribbon tried around its neck. A cat that most of the village's Soldat's had to catch at least once, to the point that Emilek didn't know how old it was.

Ismay had thought the older Soldat's that warned her about the cat had been joking when they called it a demon. It almost had the same sense of humour that Viktorija did, not that Ismay had seen the bitch that month. And to think she had scoffed at their words, and in the end, they were right. The cat truly was a demon, a demon that was almost worse than her midget of a teammate.

Viktorija was a demon, so what was she expecting from anything that had her sense of humour.

"Five meters," Ismay told Emilek while getting ready to chase said demon cat down, both she and Etienne had chased the cat around the village at least ten times. Her clothing was also filthy, torn and she knew she'd never wear this set again. "I'm in position."

Etienne grunted, glaring at the cat. It was easting his time; he could be training! Or finishing the paperwork from the last mission! And this cat was cutting into his time to do it.

"Target has been caught," Viktorija told them, Ismay and Etienne looked where the cat was, but instead they spotted Viktorija sitting on the roof with the cat in her arms. Viktorija just looked at them with a bored expression. "How long does it take to catch a cat?"

"You would know if you were helping," Ismay hissed at her, the cat hissing at her from Viktorija's arms. Ismay spotted something brown on her neck, but dismissed it as dirt, it wasn't like the dead last would have anything else on her.

After all, Ismay thought the brown-haired girl was wasting her time. Training was a waste of time for her, she was never going to improve. It wasn't like she was leaving the village; Etienne would be put a stop to it if she was.

"I was forced to listen to you whine," Viktorija told her.

"Is it Karlotta? A pink ribbon around the neck?" Emilek asked drawing his team's attention back to the mission at hand.

Viktorija looked at the cat's neck, a pink ribbon around the neck. Black fur was soft around neck, Karlotta was a short-haired cat.

"Viktorija?" Emilek asked as he looked at his youngest student, it was strange for him to see Viktorija handle anything so gently. Treating a living being with such kindness, instead of throwing something sharp at it and calling it a day.

"Pink silk ribbon around the neck," Viktorija told him.

"Like you know what silk felt like," Ismay hissed at her.

"You do if you steal it," Viktorija told her, standing up and keeping the cat in her arms. "Or you know, but it. But it's a waste of money."

"Mama sells silk!" Ismay protested.

"And my point has been proven."

"Mission is completed," Emilek told them before Ismay could say anything about Viktorija's remark and her comment about silk. Since Emilek agreed with Viktorija, in their line of work, silk was only to be protected or stolen.

Never used. There was too much blood, dirt and grime involved in their line of work; silk was only useful in overcover missions. And Emilek never went on those, so he never thought about buying the material.

"I'll be at the office," Viktorija told them, before disappearing into a puff of smoke and Ismay just looked at where she had been sitting.

"That witch!" Ismay hissed, before she continued muttering under her breath as she made her way towards the Ombre cachée's office. Etienne following her without another word, Emilek knew that they would never work as a team and he was glad they would only be forced be in each other's presence for a year.