Prologue

STEP. STEP. CREEEEAK.

The door slides open with a grating noise, as though determined never to let you go. You beg it to stay quiet, aware that it's an inanimate object. Desperation makes your fingers tremble as you gently raise your foot, and move it forward onto the tatami mat of the hallway.

BADUMP. BADUMP. BADUMP.

Your heart is in your throat. Moonlight pours from the windows, tinged a mysterious shade of red due to it being the blood moon tonight. Your claws are unsheathing in fear but you will them to draw back in, lest they make it difficult for you to escape.

The front door beckons. Escape is near.

As the sole child of the feared demon Muzan Kibitsuji, it's your job to uphold the honour of his name, doing tasks that Muzan seems unfit for even the Upper Moon Rank demons themselves. But over time, as you have grown older, you've begun to realise that Muzan's way of treating the hapless, helpless human beings that unfortunately happen to be lower in the food chain of life, are surprisingly unfair. The life you live is too cruel to continue living. And so tonight, you will be doing something about it.

CREEAK.

The front door opens louder than the sliding door earlier - you wait with bated breath to see what will happen. Nobody exits their room. Nobody seems to be curious about the sudden sounds of movement in the middle of the night.

Grabbing the opportunity, you sprint out of the house, across the hill, not stopping until the stitch in your side becomes an ache in your chest. You throw yourself down onto the grass, chest heaving with sobs, tears streaming down your face. The moon bathes your face in gentle red light, illuminating your eyes of the same colour.

I did it. I'm finally free.