chapter 3

He walked into the cafeteria with his two best friends behind him. Immediately the staring started. Their eyes followed his every movement, memorizing the way his dark hair shone, the way his eyes looked and the way his lips twitched from annoyance. He had the attention of all the females present in the hall, their lustful stares never leaving him. However, no matter how immensely appealing he looked, he was unapproachable, not because he was a social outcast but because of his fowl temper and his little patience for nonsense. No matter how much they wanted to go up to him and talk, he pushed them away. He only had a few selected friends that he could trust and talk to.

In short, he’s out of reach.

As they reached their usual table, one of them whipped out a game boy and immediately started playing. He rolled his eyes at his friend and drank his coke.

“Heard there’s a new student.” Said Elton taking a bite of his lasagna.

He wasn’t interested and grunted in response and dug into his meal.

“Sheesh Oliver, you’re dull.” Said Derek laughing.

“I’m tired, my last assignment was a pain in the butt.” Oliver said, frowing at the memory.

Elton scoffed. “At least you got to protect a hot chick, I was stuck with this old obese man that kept sending me to the store to get chips and twinkies.”

Oliver smiled at that. “Ah, Mr. Shepherd. His appetite scares me.”

Elton chuckled. “You have no idea.”

Soon they were lost in conversation about their new assignments. These assignments were given only to the top students of the Academy. In these assignments, each person is given missions to be body guards for high profile people. Oliver was BTA’s prodigy student, he had a perfect record and finished his assignments without committing a mistake. He was a wonder and an idol to many students. Also, breaking several hearts in the process, not that he intended anyway.

He took a bite of his hamburger and his eyes roamed around the hall and caught many eyes looking back at him, he ignored them and just as he was going to look away something caught his attention, or someone. It was a girl, he had never never seen her before.

“Who’s that?” asked Oliver.

Elton and Derek immediately followed his gaze and fell on a raven haired girl. She was with sitting with a group of people. She looked lost and confused as they talked excitedly to her. Her large eyes darted from one person to the other deciding who to talked to first. Nathan Chuckled at her expression.

“I’ve never seen her before, that must be the new student I was telling you about.” Said Derek nonchalantly.

Elton and Derek went back to eating but Oliver’s eyes didn’t leave her.

She looked so lost with her rounds eyes looking at everything that moved, she looked like someone who had been in a cave for hundreds of years and had finally stepped out into civilization. She looked frustrated like she was trying to make out what the people around her were saying. She hung her head in defeat and kept quiet for sometime. Then, when she lifted up her head, their eyes locked for a moment but she quickly looked away and got back to the conversation.

Weird girl, Oliver thought to himself and went back to eating his lunch.

“Woah woah, back up for a second…where are you from again?” asked Nathan slowly.

By now all Amelia, Cherry, Nathan and Jace were all leaning towards Snow, looking at her with incredulous expression on their faces.

“Um…I’m from The House?” said Snow confused.