Chapter V

(important author's note at the end!)

For the rest of the period, French was uneventful. It was still weird to me; having Mello keep me company was a foreign concept and I was still trying to grasp his motive behind it. He sat next to me until the bell rang, signaling the end of second period and the start of Study hall.

Obviously, the game I was currently playing was distracting me from getting up and going to a class of my choice. My eyes stared at the game screen, focused on the actions of my avatar. I was pulled out of this trance by a quick snap in front of me, causing me to jump and pause the game on instinct.

I looked up, rolling my eyes at the sight of Mello smirking above me. "What?" I grumbled, looking back down and saving the game.

He made a gesture to the students gathering their bags and heading out the door. I sighed and shut off my handheld. In the back of my mind, I distinctly wondered why Mello would be alerting me instead of just leaving for himself. Though, after accompanying me throughout the beginning of this day, it didn't really seem as odd.

As I gathered my stuff, I noticed that the blond was still standing in front of my desk, tapping his foot impatiently. I raised my eyebrows at him and stood up, pushing in my chair.

As soon as I was out the door, Mello caught up to my side and walked with me. He pulled out his phone, his head down as he scrolled through many notifications. For the slightest moment, his eyes lit up and widened almost comically. Though, as soon as it appeared, the spark disappeared and he shoved his phone back into his pocket, annoyed.

"What was that about?" I questioned, searching his face for any further emotions. I arrived at my locker and spun the dial, still waiting for an answer.

"Nothing, actually," he sighed.

"Really?" I deadpanned, rolling my eyes and stuffing all my work from previous classes into my locker because I wouldn't actually need anything. Study hall was usually a period for students to make up work for class and catch up, or to quickly finish up assignments that were due the next period. I used this 30 minute period freely, since I got all my work done in the designated time span.

"I thought an email was from someone I'd been expecting. It wasn't." He shrugged, following me again when I left my locker. "So where do you usually go for Study hall?"

I ignored his query and kept walking, taking note of the weird looks that I got from people passing by. It really was an odd sight; I was as confused as them- why would Mello be associating with me of all people? The question rang in my head ever since our first encounter at Pete's. I had yet to receive an answer.

"Matt?" He asked his former question again.

"Jesus Mello," I mumbled under my breath, focusing on my feet as more heads turned our way. I never did like the 'spotlight'. Being near Mello would no doubt attract attention to me, and that is probably the last thing I could ever want. "Why can't you just leave me alone?"

I don't know if he genuinely missed my reply or if he had heard it and chosen to disregard the message, but either way, he just ignored the matter. "I just usually go the library and study ther-"

"Mello." I stopped, turning to face him. I narrowed my eyes, getting tired of this joke if it actually is one. His presence was becoming more of a bother to me, but I'd still be pretty upset if I found out this was all just for a laugh. I've never been used as a form of entertainment and I sure as hell wouldn't start now. "Seriously? We already discussed the bet and we don't particularly have to talk to each other until Friday. Please- just forget that I exist until then. What else do you want?"

He stopped walking too, meeting my gaze. His eyes were cold now, and I shrunk back under his stare as I did during our first meeting not too long ago. Something about his electric orbs pierced right through me, threatening me as if he knew every sin I'd ever committed. "Why can't you just let me be your friend?"

"Because I don't want your fucking charity, Mello!" I stated harshly, "I never needed company before, and I don't need it now. Especially not from you. So seriously just-" I stopped suddenly when the magnetic eyes that had almost made me pee in fear drooped, causing him to look a bit defeated.

Hold on- Mello? Defeated?

I looked at him incredulously when he stood up straight and walked pass me, continuing his trek to the library. His head was lower from where he usually held it up high, and if you paid enough attention to his stance you'd see that he was walking dejectedly. Holy Zelda- had I caused that?

I suddenly felt guilty for saying what I did and scurried up beside him, trying to get his attention. "Hey-" I started and when he didn't stop walking I stood in front of him. He looked at me expectantly, and his bored eyes caught me off guard. "I didn't mean to sound so bitter. I'm sor-"

He walked around me before I had a chance to properly apologize. I stood there, dumbstruck at how I had been avoided so easily. If I wasn't so confused, I'm sure I would've laughed at how the same incident happened when we were walking this morning.

Not too long after I realized that he had just left me standing here, anger started to make its way into my mind. I walked to the library, looking around once I got in. He was there- sitting at a table far behind some science bookshelves. He flipped a few pages of the book he was reading and munched on his newly acquired chocolate bar. It's as if he didn't care that he just brushed me off. He got so worked up and after barely a minute, he acted like it was nothing.

He then looked up and noticed me staring. He raised an eyebrow, snapping a piece of chocolate off the bar as I turned around and trudged to another section of the library, fuming quietly. Why should I care anyways? This is what I was asking for.

Not even a full day had passed (seriously! it's only been a few hours) and Mello had already managed to steer my mind towards a completely different emotion. I would never get so mad about something like this before;

What the fuck did he do to me?

A/N: AYYYYY I'm sorry for not updating okay pls don't keehl me

To be honest, I don't even have a valid excuse. Ever since I uploaded Chapter IV, I hadn't been able to think of a way to start this chapter. But when I actually sat down and put my fingers on my keyboard, it all just came to me. I dunno how

BUT GUYS. GUESS WHAT TODAY IS (for me it's July 8th)

IT'S MATTXMELLO DAY! The reason I decided to finally write this chapter is because I saw themihaelkeehl's post on Tumblr, which basically made me rush to Wattpad and write in honor of this momentous holiday.

Anyway- I hope you guys all decide to contribute (write fanfiction, draw fanart, etc.) and send out much mattxmello love because honestly we, the mattxmello shippers, are an endangered breed. Many of us are disappearing- we're almost extinct. pls spread the yaoi.

ALSO- SINCE YOU'RE HERE, I MIGHT AS WELL MENTION MY NEW ONESHOT BOOK THING OF MATTXMELLO DRABBLES. Yes- multiple MattxMello oneshots. It's called Mint, so I would very much appreciate it if you were to check it out and such. I'll also be posting another small oneshot there in honor of this day, as well.

That's all I needed to say. See you guys next update! If there is one, that is...
(jeevas christ im kidding ok pls don't keehl me)

-Stella xo