2-Today

"Robaire! You guys are on in ten! Y'all better not be playing back there!" 4-Town managers yelled simultaneously. Robaire, who was hiding near the stage, gave me a thumbs up as I walked onstage. I adjusted my mic and stepped onstage. People cheered when they saw me, chanting my stage name, General TJ. I did my usual greeting, a salute, and started to perform. After my song, I remembered a promise I made online.

"Now, as I promised, one lucky fan gets to come up here on stage and receive a free backstage pass as well as an autographed photo of 4-Town. And me, of course. Now let's see, who will it be...?" I looked around, spotting bright red hair. "You there! Girl with the red hair." The spolight shone on exactly who I was talking about. The crowd parted slightly to show the red-head was a girl with brown eyes and gold circle-rimmed glasses. She had four friends with her, one boy and three girls, who were squealing and pushing her towards the stage. When she made her way onstage, I smiled. "What's your name miss?" I asked.

"Mei–Meilin Lee." She said. My heart stopped, but my mouth continued.

"Well, you seem very lucky today. Here's your backstage pass, and I hope you enjoy the concert." I turned to the crowd. "Let's give Meilin Lee here a General's Salute!" It was a dance move I created that went viral, and soon people were doing it as a sort of challenge. People noticed that the first part of it was a salute, so they called it the General's Salute. The crowd cheered loudly as I began to do it. I shook her hand and smiled. "Have a great day, miss." After the concert, I practically ran to the temple Mom and Dad ran.

When I walked in, I looked around. People stared at me for a few seconds, then I was bombarded with hugs. It was all my aunts.

"Young man, how was it? Oh, being off making your family proud! And that hair! Red is such a lucky color!" One of my aunts gushed.

"Now, now. Let's not crowd him. I'm sure the journey from boarding school was tiring." Grandma said, and they all parted and looked at her. Behind her stood my parents...and Mei. Her backstage pass still hung from her neck as she stood staring at me. I dropped my bags and Mom hugged me tightly. I noticed a small tear make its way down her cheek.

"Mom? That—That's the guy I was talking about! The guy at the concert!...How do you know him?" Mei asked.

"Meilin, this is your brother. Takjin. Although it makes sense you would forget him. He left for boarding school when you were only 4. Everyone is so glad to see you, Takjin." Grandma smiled at me. Boarding school? That was Mom's excuse? Well then. I suppose it's better than admitting I ran away.

"I'm glad to be home." I turned to Mom. "So, uh, where should I put my stuff?" I asked. Mom silently motioned for me to follow her. We made our way into the house, past my old bedroom, which I could tell was Mei's, and up to the attic.

"You can stay here for the time being. I suppose you're just going to leave again when everything cools down?" Mom said.

"What? No, I want to stay. I—"

"Why? After everything that happened, and you want to stay—"

"Because this is my family! I have tried so hard to find the courage to come back here! Why would I want to leave? I didn't even get to see my sister grow up!" I was furious, but then I saw a small tear prick the corner of her eye. "Mom?"

"I'm so sorry. All the things I said that day, I didn't mean it." She was full on crying now. I could tell she was trying not to. I hugged her.

"It's okay, Mom. You were scared, that's all." We got back down into the house. Mei's wearing short sleeves now, and I see a long scar running down her forearm. I glance at Mom, who seems to ignore it.

After dinner, I knock on Mei's door.

"Who is it?" I hear her shout through the door.

"Takjin. I, uh, I want to talk." I say, and the door opens. She looks up at me before stepping back to let me in.

"So, what is it you want to talk about?" Mei asked.

"Well...what do you want to know?"