"It'll be okay."

I wanted to ask him if he was sure, but I already knew both answers — the truth and the one he'd give me. 

My hiding place turned out to be a cave. Its mouth was hidden in a small crevice of the mountain, not facing directly outwards. Moss and yellowing bushes covered it. Aquila took off his backpack and handed it to me. I couldn't help but laugh at the sight of him. 

He blinked, baffled. "What is it?"

"No, it's just..." I waved my hand in the air. "You look very much like a dad. Blue backpack, matching windbreaker— sensible shoes and socks sticking up from them."

He chuckled. "Well, I am going to war. It's probably not the best moment to bust out my heels."

I knew I'd stumbled upon a goldmine. "You have heels, don't you?"

"I don't use them." He looked away. "Anymore."

I sputtered out laughing. "Of all people, I did not expect this from you."

"You should've met me in the '20s."

"I really should, shouldn't I?" 

His laughter died, but his smile remained. "I do wish you could have been here back then, before— before all of this." 

"Melissa!"

I was shocked; usually, I felt her presence before she appeared. I only now realized that it was a kindness she afforded me. If she wanted to, she could probably disappear completely — and today was a good day for her to stay hidden. 

Her hair was pulled back into a low ponytail, and she wore yoga pants and lightweight sweater. She seemed more dressed for running than fighting.

"There are flashlights, a cell phone, batteries, a sleeping bag and a book down there," Aquila told me, before she came up to us. "I'll see you soon."

I pulled him close by the shoulders and wrapped my arms around his neck. My eyes clenched shut as I breathed in, drawing in his scent, the feeling of his mind, right there, and his arms around me, so safe. As I drew back, I kissed his cheek and whispered in his ear, "See you soon."

Slinging the backpack over my shoulder, I followed Serena into the cave. As I was about to enter, I looked over my shoulder, but he was already gone. 

The cave was dark and gloomy. The thought of spending the next hours here, alone with the thought of the battle happening so close, made my stomach churn. 

Serena marched around the cave. Never had she seemed less of a Varkolak; Varkolaks were refined. They were humans who had the animal taken out of them. All their natural reflexes had been replaced with a divine light of knowledge. But Serena was catlike as she paced up and down the length of the room. 

"I can protect you in here," she said. "They won't feel your presence, your warmth. But I can't protect you if you go outside and they see you."

"You should've taught me how to do that," I pointed out. "I don't want to distract you."

"It's hardly a distraction." 

There was something haughty about her that I recognized from my first impression of her. It calmed me; sure, my first impression of her had been scary, but scary meant dangerous, and dangerous is only bad if it's not on your side. 

"There's been a lot of talk about you recently," she said. She was watching me with that strange expression that I had seen on her face often before, but never knew quite how to explain. There were thoughts running behind her eyes, yet it was not entirely interested, not quite intrigued. She looked at me as though I had just piqued her interest, and not even she knew why. "I think it's because of how much time I've spent with you."