Prometheus

for offering godly light to humanity, he must suffer eternally

"Is there nothing I can do?" I asked, following Philip to the meeting room. 

He stopped in front of the door, his hand hovering above the handle. "Not until Serena returns, no."

"You know, I'm not useless," I protested.

He sighed, his hand moving from the handle to my arm as he led me away from the door. "Yes, you are," he whispered. "We all are, until Serena returns. There's no point in any of our work if the Authority is a member short and all their efforts are turned to finding her."

I rolled my eyes. "All their efforts are turned to waiting for her to return."

"I don't care," he said, "but until everything is back to order, there's nothing we can do." 

He watched me as I folded my arms and leaned back against the wall. "Nothing." The word seemed to resonate within me, a hollow sound. 

"Unless you know anything," he said. 

It took a moment for his words to register. I looked up at him. "What would I know?"

"I don't know. Perhaps she told you something."

I shook my head, trying my hardest to act innocent and confused. "No. Nothing."

We entered the meeting room. There was an empty seat beside Lucas, but his sympathetic glance made me turn in the other direction and sit between Juliette and Federico. It was funny how their being Lilithian didn't make me feel half as uncomfortable as the disappointed look in Lucas' eyes as he lowered his gaze.

The door opened, and Solomon entered. We all stood up, and then sat again. 

"Serena has returned," he said. 

A gasp of surprise went through the room. 

"I received the news this morning that she called Authority member Aquila earlier tonight and told him that she was back in her apartment here at the Headquarters."

Lucas stood up, beaming. "Those are good news. Thank you."

"Thank you, for keeping her disappearance a secret to the public."

"Of course," he said.

After shaking hands with Lucas, Solomon left as unceremoniously as he had arrived. 

"Meeting adjourned," Lucas said, and we all stood up. None of us had unpacked our briefcases, so the room emptied out quickly. 

In the hallway, Lucas caught up with me. "Melissa," he said, stopping me by taking hold of my wrist. 

I turned around, forcing a smile. "What is it?"

"Are we alright?" he asked, looked at me as though he was trying to solve some riddle. "You've been very distanced."

I nodded. "Of course. Why wouldn't we be?"

"I don't know," he said. "I just haven't seen you in so long."

I drew a hand through my hair. "I'm sorry, I am. It's just with Serena gone, and..."

He smiled. "It's okay. Just as long as you don't forget that we're going to the reception together."

"Now that we know it's happening," I said, returning his smile. 

He kissed me, gentle and chaste, and a little boring. "I look forward to it."