Lambert, Lambert, Wherefore Art Thou, Lambert?

Start from the beginning

An icy breeze blows through the window. The other witcher makes a noise of displeasure and shivers, then latches his arms around Lambert, burning his face in the Wolf's neck. Lambert sighs in defeat. Gently, he pries Aiden off of him, then closes the window.

"Okay fine, you can stay. But you're climbing back before breakfast in the morning, got it?"

Lambert climbs back into bed and Aiden follows, chirping happily and burrowing into the blankets. When he settles back down however, Aiden is suddenly looming over him. His gaze flicks to Lambert's lips, then he darts forward. Lambert barely has time to turn his head away. "Nope, we're not doing that again."

Aiden, it seems, doesn't get the message, and after a huff and a brief pause, attempts to kiss him again.

Lambert grabs him by the shoulders, holding the other man back. "Aiden, stop. I can't." No matter how much he wants to. Letting things escalate with Aiden still being in this state is a bad idea.

The Cat witcher frowns and pushes forwards, but Lambert holds fast.

"Look, you can stay till morning, okay? But this--" He gestures between the two of them-- "Can't happen, kitten."

Aiden makes a small sound at the back of his throat. He cups Lambert's face in one hand and attempts to pull the other man up to him.

Lambert swats his nose. "No."

Aiden lets out a mewling whine. The pitiful look on his face sends guilt like a stake to Lambert's chest.

"Just...lie down, okay?" Lambert sets himself on his side and gives Aiden an expectant look. Slowly, the Cat lies down beside him.

Lambert tucks the blankets over them both, then opens his arms. The other man perks up a bit and shifts into his embrace, cuddling around Lambert like before. The familiar weight of Aiden in his arms sends warmth seeping into Lambert's chest. Before, he'd always fantasized about what it would have been like to have Aiden with him at Kaer Morhen. He knew the others would never allow it, but Lambert had been gathering up the courage to invite Aiden anyway because fuck them. Except by the time he had finally made that decision, everything had already begun spiraling out of control.

And yet, despite everything, here they are.

Lambert gazes down at the other witcher fondly, pressing a kiss to his forehead.

"Please don't make me regret this in the morning."

The Cat smiles and presses his face into the crook of Lambert's neck, purring. Lambert falls asleep to the steady rhythm emanating from his chest.

----------------------------

"The Cat's gone!"

Lambert is awake in an instant. "Fuck!"

Panic races through him. They slept in. He slept in. Lambert never sleeps in. How could this happen?

Sunlight is streaming through the window. Aiden is lying almost entirely on top of Lambert, legs tangled with his, arms clinging to him in a vice-like fashion.

There's the sound of approaching footsteps in the hall, Eskel's concerned voice alerting everyone to the situation. Lambert shakes Aiden awake. "Wake the fuck up, Aiden, you gotta go."

The Cat makes a grumpy sound and curls into Lambert further.

"Come on." Lambert shoves him again and Aiden growls quietly. Not knowing what else to do, Lambert just pushes him off. The other witcher lands on the floor with a yowl and a thump. He pops his head up a second later, glaring.