Ambushing the Ambusher

Woodsboro, California. It had seen its fair share of tragedies over the years (more specifically in the last twenty-five years). In 1996, two teenagers murdered several of their classmates, their principal, and even a cameraman before their spree came to an end. Billy Loomis and Stu Macher were killed (in self-defense) by Sidney Prescott (the target of their spree) and Howard "Howie" Becker (who's sister had been among the first to die), respectively.

Copycats followed, specifically an insane teenager and a vengeful mother in Ohio and one estranged half-brother in Los Angeles, although neither of those took place in Woodsboro. The next set of serial killings to take place in Woodsboro happened in 2011, when Jill Roberts and her secret boyfriend Charlie Walker tried to make themselves the heroes of a new series of attacks. Needless to say, that didn't go too well for them.

Once again, Sidney Prescott (now Sidney Becker) and Howie Becker (her husband) put a stop to it and, once again, both killers ended up dead. Vigilante justice, what's not to love? After that, Howie and Sidney Becker moved off somewhere undisclosed, where they continued having their own happy little family. Now, over a decade later, two of their four children walked the dark streets of Woodsboro, silently cursing their father for not bringing a car with them on this little trip.

"Did we really need ketchup this bad?" Tanner (the older of the two brothers) asked. Randy shrugged, "We're having hamburgers for dinner. You can't have hamburgers without ketchup."

"Yeah, well, maybe if we weren't staying with Uncle Dewey, we wouldn't have needed to run halfway across town to grab ketchup," Tanner argued, "He's definitely been slipping since Gale left him, right? That's not just me?"

"Yeah, but, can you blame him?" Randy asked concernedly (he always was the more sympathetic of the two), "I mean, he left his wife cause he couldn't handle New York, essentially got fired from his job as Sheriff, and lost his house to the bank cause he couldn't afford the loan payments. He's had it rough these last couple years."

"You say that like you even remember half of the last decade," Tanner nudged his brother playfully, "I, however-"

"Mom and dad hadn't even adopted you, yet," Randy accused, "What would you know about Uncle Dewey from back then?"

"In case you haven't noticed, Randy, but our parents, Uncle Dewey, and Gale... they're kinda famous," Tanner joked, "I knew about them a long time before they adopted me."

Randy snorted in disbelief and the two brothers continued walking in silence for a while, before Randy spoke up again, "So... what're you going to do after we're done here?"

"I'll finally start work, obviously," Tanner answered, "I've been in a trade school for two years to become an electrician, I'm not wasting that. What else did you think I was going to do?"

"I dunno..." Randy shrugged, "Maybe try traveling again?"

"Yeah, cause that worked out so well for me last time," Tanner rolled his eyes, "If I want to get lost in the Canadian wilderness for a week again, I'll crash a plane. Besides, I only did that 'cause I was tired of law school. I actually enjoy electronics, which is a very nice change."

"Sure, sure," Randy rolled his eyes, matching pace with his brother as they darted down the crosswalk. He stopped suddenly, freezing in place except for the grocery bag in his right hand. It swung back and forth like a tire swing with a small child in the middle. Tanner looked over at his brother, "What's up?"

"Did you hear that?" Randy asked, seriousness overgrowing the playful tone in his voice. Tanner hadn't, originally, but he went silent and tried to hear what had his brother so worried. He couldn't, until he heard, faintly, as if carried by some nonexistent breeze, a scream coming from down the road they were crossing.
"Should we-?"