Untitled Part 1

Zara had never seen these parts of the castle before. She thought she knew every nock and cranny that served as hiding spots whist growing up. But she was wrong, Zara felt lost in her own home. She ran her hand along the cold stone wall, counting and noting each door and passageway they passed. Gavin on the other hand, had a map in his head; surely he was familiar with this part of the castle. This night was colder than most and the air was so quiet, the God of winds must have gone to sleep for once.

   Quietly they both quickly descended under the shroud of darkness.  Never once did his steady pace falter even with his small burden of her sleeping brother and his other hand tightening ever so often around hers as he guided her down the dark passage.  It was a struggle for her to keep with him on the steep, damp stone step. As they came to a turn on the staircase she faltered.  Immediately his grip tightened to prevent her from hitting the ground. He waited patiently for her to recover even though they were pressed for time.  

  As they touched landing, Gavin was already pushing open a wooden door that brought them to the kitchen. Zara felt puzzled. She had been here before, on many occasions harassing the cooks and maids who made her the most delicious meals. She had definitely been here but never through that door. The kitchen was empty, left the flaming torches that kept the room illuminated. She supposed this part of the kingdom had not heard the awful news as yet. Gavin tugged at her hand just as she spotted Lilia, Zara's personal maid rushing into the room with a flustered face. At the sight of the hand maiden Zara's heart faltered, threatening to break the strong façade she had created. But Lilia had not caught sight of the sneaking lot of three. Instead she had her back to them as they passed through too quietly, to her chest she clutched her fist. Before their departure, Gavin warned Zara that they must take caution to not be seen nor heard by anyone.

 Behind them the kitchen door swung closed, forcing the three into darkness yet again. Zara had never liked Gavin. Her father however, adored the man for his bravery, wise decisions and quick actions thus trusting the stoic man with his only daughter's life.

In the still darkness she could see nothing but she felt everything. The heat of Gavin's hand clasped at her hand which felt too small suddenly, her right hand dragged along the wall, still trying to keep a map in her head. She heard his even breath, her harsh ones and the pounding pulse at her ear. Then she heard a small snore from under the blanket strewn over the bundle of Gavin's big shoulder. With the intensity and pressure of the situation, Gavin should have been exhausted as just as her. Yet he wasn't, he was built for these circumstances. They rounded another dark corner, how he knew this passage without light was beyond Zara, and again they pushed through another door. She blinked harshly, blinded by the sudden light of the room. Hay was scattered across the floor and the horses snorted. They were at the stable. Gavin pulled at her hand again. He had the patience of a loyal servant, which was hard to find at these times.

 "Zara!" Her uncle, her father's brother, Xavier called across to her. He stood near two readied horses, decked still in his day clothes. The man hadn't seen his bed for the night and it was well past midnight.. Xavier caught her in his arms, pressed a kiss to the crown of her head and sighed. "Oh Zara."

"Sir we don't have time." She heard the suddenly impatient Gavin scold. Zara shot the cold man with a distasteful look to which he challenged with his stern one.

"He's right dear Zara," Xavier, pushed her toward her own saddle horse, Willow, her beloved horse. "But I promise when this is all over, I will come for you personally."

"With soldiers of course."

Xavier smiled at the girl's concern. "Yes my Zara with tons of guards. With the best of them at that."  A soft sad smile washed the old man's face and her heart broke again for the night. Distracting herself, she climbed her horse and Gavin followed suit on his own darkened horse, holding steady her young brother who by amazement was still asleep.