Chapter Four

Clara opened the door to the betting shop, and walked straight into Tommy who looked in a right state. "Sorry Tommy" She said quietly, not looking him in the eye. She was still pissed about the whole Grace thing.
"Did you know about this?" He asked her raising his voice slightly but not too much to attract attention from passers-by.
"Know what?" She asked taking a step back from him.
"Fucking. Ada" Was all he said before he walked off. She watched as he strode, putting his coat on and placing his peaky hat on his head while he walked, civilians moved out of his way and muttering frantic apologies to the Shelby.

How did he know about Ada? She thought. Polly must've told him; she promised Ada that she wouldn't.

Clara walked through the betting shop,
"Clar, Clar, look at these numbers, they're brilliant" Scudboat called from across the room.
"I will in a sec Scud, give me a minute" she bellowed back over the noise, he nodded in reply and she kept walking until she reached Polly in the kitchen, with a glass of wine in hand.
"Pol I thought Ada told you not to tell them, you know they'll find out who the father is and cut him to pieces for touching their little sister" she sighed slumping into a chair next to her honorary aunt.

"He was gonna find out one way or another, better sooner rather than later"
"Maybe, maybe. Poor Ada, I do feel bad for the girl." Clara said to Polly, taking a drag of the cigarette she just lit.

"Hey I thought you was supposed to be at the Garrison, why aren't you working?" Pol looked around at her

"Grace Burgess, you know the Irish one. Well I was walking to work early and saw her talking to Tommy, then she comes in and says I'm not needed. Again" Clara exclaimed animatedly

"And what did you do this time, we won't have to deal with a dead body will we"
"Not yet, but if she keeps it up. Anyway I just gave her a little... refresher, on the way things are ran around here" she smirked
"Well tell me if anything else happens with her, I've got a funny feeling"
"Of course I will Pol"

Later that night, Tommy and Clara were sat up in the betting shop with a bottle of whisky between them. She still wasn't over the whole Grace situation but decided she was being petty and business was more important. Their horse had lost a race and they were making a lot of money which wasn't exactly a bad thing.  They were also waiting for Polly to come in, she apparently wanted to talk family business.

Taking a breath, Clara spoke. "Tom?" He looked up at her quizzically
"I um saw you talking to Grace earlier, what was that about?"
He shuffled uncomfortably
"Can I not talk to who I like"
"I didn't say that Tom, just, well I don't particularly like her. Got a bad feeling"
"Well if it makes your bad feeling to away, I needed her for business, just a clause in the contract"

She frowned "and what contract would that be?"
"Billy Kimber, I'm taking her to the races"
"And what does the races have anything to do with a contract and Billy Kimber" she asked taking a sip of her whiskey
"You'll find out in due course" his monotone voice rang out.
"But why can't I know now?"
"Because you can't" he said finally, and she knew to drop the subject.

Polly entered the shop looking at the pair, who had glum expressions on their faces.
"So Monaghan Boy finally lost"
"Third time unlucky" Clara said, downing the last bit of her whisky and pouring herself another.

"We took money from all over the city" Tommy said from beside her.
"Yeah but you'll pay it back to people around here. Buy your popularity back"
"Already done" Clara said, pouring Tommy more drink.
"Taught you well"
"And you fixed this race without the permission of Billy Kimber?" Pol said, leaning down to face Tommy and Clara. She grabbed the glass of alcohol that was in Claras hand and threw it at the wall, causing it to smash and both of them to look at her, alarmed.