Vanity Fair

A/N: This is a continuation of part 1

"Look at me Austin!" I said, with an empathetic yet strong tone in my voice. Still getting no reaction from him.

My perfect blonde boyfriend stood tall beside the glass bar trolley, pouring the golden liquid into the crystal old fashioned glass. He wasn't much of drinker but tonight he seemed to have changed drastically. His bow tie loosened and shirt partially unbuttoned, his hair gelled but still kind of messy, his face stiff and firm yet his arctic eyes told another story.

He had now sat down on the tufted mustard armchair right opposite me. We were so close, but still so far apart. My hands reached out to hold his, but all he could do tonight was sit still.

Was it the loss that bothered him? Or running into Vanessa?

Usually it took only a couple of parks and rec references to open him up, but today, today seemed to be different. He kept pushing me away all night, pushing us all away. Baz had tried talking to him after the event but even after all his efforts all he got was 'hmm's and 'yeah's.

But this couldn't go on forever. I won't let it.

I pushed myself and sprung up from the edge of the bed in an attempt to lecture Austin into being a 'gracious loser', but before I could even begin his heavy voice filled my ears for the first time in a while "don't y/n". At least he'd stopped being a statue.

"But baby-"

"Don't fucking try to do something that you don't know jackshit about!" he yelled, pounding his fist onto the oak side table.

I could feel the tears swell in my eyes. Why would he talk to me like that? He was always so caring and careful with his words.

My reaction causing Austin to lower his voice, which only serves to make him more menacing.

"If you really want to help you should let me be alone, and stop sticking to my back like a motherfucking leech everywhere we go."

I could hardly manage to get words out of my mouth, I had never seen him this way.

"B-but love, I know you deserved this award-" "I KNOW WHAT I DESERVE AND I DON'T NEED YOUR FUCKING VALIDATION"

Austin freaked out, and in a fit of rage, broke the whiskey glass against the paneled wood floor. At this sight, I screamed in horror, afraid of what this man could do next. My body set a trembling and my already tired eyes aching with every teardrop falling from my eyes.

Realizing what he had just done, Austin looked down towards me so tenderly, getting up from his seat to arch over my shriveling and curled body. He reached out for my hand, but I only flinch. He leaned to kiss my heated face that had been soaked in tears, hair sticking to my cheeks. What had just happened?

Suddenly his ocean eyes flooded with emotions, and he crumbled into my arms on the soft white mattress. Strong and broad shoulders desperately wrapped around me as he sunk into my small and delicate chest. My fingers ran through his gelled hair. I tried catching a hold of my own emotions to help figure out, what was up with him?

"I can't do this anymore"
"Can't do what anymore, hun?"
" It's just too much-" his voice died off in the end, shattering my heart into a million pieces.
"Let me in babe, please" "Everything is happening so fast, the fame, the work, the awards. It's just too much for me. I'm losing my sanity to this job. I feel like I'm losing who I was, my truth, my happiness. I feel like I'm losing you. Don't get me wrong, I am forever grateful for this opportunity but I want to go back to being normal, being Austin. I don't get to be in LA a lot anymore, I don't get to be with you"

Oh now I get it!

Austin has been acting this way for this god damn reason. He had gone too deep into this role. Austin and Elvis had practically become synonyms for everyone around the world. Whether that maybe on talk shows or during my fashion week parties, Austin had become Elvis and Elvis only for this world. Because of this Austin had started resorting to critical acclamation for joy. It had slowly began to become the drive for him, especially during award season. The Oscars were a big night for any celebrity, but for Austin it was the last of the award season for Elvis, so it had a lot riding on it's back. And the loss made him feel like his sacrifice was not worth it.

"Austin, you are falling apart right now, and it is because of Elvis. And you have to say goodbye to this character. Your fans and the audience love you as Austin as much as they loved you as Elvis. You need to come home. You need to get rid of that hold the pressure of doing justice to Elvis has on you."

"Why are you always so right lady?" he sniffled while letting out a chuckle for the first time in a while.

"I am sorry for the way I took it all out on you"

"It's okay Aus. Just promise me you'll take an off. Let's go stay in Cali for a while." "I will. I might stay with dad for a couple days." "I'm glad Mr. stick-up-your-ass is gone." he let out a chuckle, placing his hand on mine "Me too. I missed being up close and real with you." "I'll always be there for you babe. And also if we're done bawling our eyes let's get changed into something a bit comfier"

As I planted my feet on the floor, his hand yanked me back into his arms. Surprised, I looked into his eyes seeing a huge smirk painted across his smug face.

"What?" "I can help you with that. And if you're lucky you won't have to wear anything tonight."

He was back, his smile was genuine and carefree. My boy was back and happy. These things don't heal overnight but I'm glad he has started working on it.