Chapter 1:

Elle's POV:
I woke up to my family in my room, they were all singing happy birthday. I looked at the calendar. November 28th. FRICK. It's my 17th birthday. Something about my birthday has just always felt wrong, I've never been able to place what it was, but I hate celebrating. Everyone took their turns telling me happy birthday. My mom had a plate in her hands; it was filled with biscuits with gravy, scrabbled eggs, and bacon. My favorite.
"I've made you breakfast in bed" stated my mom, as everyone else exited my bedroom.
"Oh thank you, you can just lay it on my dresser"
She laid it down and looked at me.
"You know Briella, today's a really big day for this family. You're our oldest and this is your last year of high school, your last year of your adolescence and next year you will be away at college-"
"Mom, I'm sorry to cut you off, but I've got to get ready for school. Today's just like any other day." 
She sighed. "Alright Briella, happy birthday darling", she then left my room.
I looked at the clock,
'okay it's only 7:15' I thought to myself.
I have a little time to eat before getting ready.
After finishing my meal, I walked into the bathroom and jumped in the shower. I decided I would leave my long, brown, curly hair down today. I then did my makeup, just the usual; mascara, and light pink lip gloss. I brushed my teeth then walked to my closet. I put on a plain outfit; ripped black skinny jeans, a Metallica t-shirt, and checkerboard vans. We only live a couple of blocks from the school, so Matt and I usually skate or walk there. I grabbed my book bag, my jean jacket, and my skateboard and headed for the front door. Just as I stepped out onto the patio, Matt walked over.