"Cerridwen, lady of the moon, you who runs with us wolves in the good times and the bad- accept these offerings and protect his soul." The Elder sprinkled some sea water on the Alpha's corpse and one of the fires at his feet sprung to life. I felt Kilyan stiffen next to me and I managed to wrap my arms around him, holding him close as I curled into him to give him comfort. I knew he hated to look weak so I made myself appear weaker- for him. 

"Bean-Nighe, washer at the ford, grant him access to Tír na nÓg and guard him from the evil spirits that mean harm. Guide him to the Otherworld." He sprinkled more water and the fire at the Alpha's head hissed as it lit and licked at the wood and in the end- the body. 

Again I could feel the cold sensation that was Bean-Nighe and shuffled closer to Kilyan and his warmth. I knew he was crying; I could feel his body convulsing even though the pack behind him would only be able to see his shoulders shake slightly as his tears streamed down his face. And as I watched the fire claim our strong Alpha, the tears that escaped my eyes were rare pearls that were lost to me and the world as they splashed on the ground. 

"Seinn cliù Andrew." The Elder pronounced and the pack fell into an ancient chant that had my hairs stood in the back of my neck as the words tumbled of my lips in the soft language of our ancestors. (sing Andrew's praises)

"Go n-éirí an bóthar leat 

 Go raibh an ghaoth go brách ag do chúl 

 Go lonraí an ghrian go te ar d'aghaidh 

 Go dtite an bháisteach go mín ar do pháirceanna 

 Agus go mbuailimid le chéile arís, 

 Go gcoinní Dia i mbos A láimhe thú." 

Kilyan was shaking harder now and I knew he would break down soon. Knowing that he would hate himself later if he broke down in front of the pack, I exchanged a quick look with the Luna and she nodded, leaving the place first. I led Kilyan back to the house quickly, sparing one last glance at the burning pyre before the heavy door fell shut. Kilyan made it to our room before the first sob left his lips. That one sound seemed to be the trigger, his knees gave way and he collapsed next to me. 

"Come on, tiger." I lifted him and carried him to the bed, where we remained for the remainder of the night and the following day. The only time Kilyan let me go was to get us some food; not that I was complaining. All I wanted to do was ease his pain. 

-

It had only been two weeks after the funeral when the Sprites attacked again. Kilyan was doing better, Alpha work was keeping him busy. 

I was training with Ed when it happened. 

-

"What's that noise?" She suddenly stopped mid kick and straightened up, listening carefully. 

"It's probably nothing, Eddie- let's just-"

"No. Listen." She was very attentive and I knew she was one of the best scouts we had because of her ability to track mind activity. She closed her eyes for a second and when she opened them again, she whirled around. 

Hunters at the Northern boarder. She shouted through the Pack Link and managed to get ahold of her sword, while throwing me mine. I caught it easily and growled.