"You're really sending her back?" Rei asked making [Y/n] stop laughing. She looked at Kazuki, who looked away. He gave Miri the bananas, and she ran off. "'Course I am. I can't take care of a kid. The world we belong to is a world of darkness."

[Y/n] continued to eat. She'd almost forgotten that she was an assassin. Born in this world to kill and build her family's emperor. To carry on her fiancé's name and birth the next heir.

~~

After getting the information from Kyutaro, the three assassins and Miri went to the park. "I know where Miri's mom lives now." Kazuki said as they watched Miri play while they talked, "She's probably not much of a mom, but... It's one of those 'better than nothing' deals. I never met my parents. My life went off the rails, and ended up like this."

[Y/n] looked at Kazuki's sad eyes. "You don't usually talk like that." Rei said, and [Y/n] nodded.

"Here!" Miri said while holding sand in her hands, "Dumplings. Take one!"

Kazuki took one. "Eat it!" Miri said.

"The hell I-"

"Eat it, Papa!" Miri said and smiled.

"You-" Kazuki said, "Don't call me 'papa' in front of people."

Miri looked around. "There's no people." She muttered and looked back at Kazuki, "Now, 'Thank you for the food!"

[Y/n] smiled while looking at them. Miri was so adorable, and it make [Y/n] a little sad to have to give Miri back to her mother. But, [Y/n] couldn't be any better.

"Thank you for the food." Kazuki said, reluctantly.

"Delicious sweet potatoes!" [Y/n] and Miri heard, and they smiled at each other then ran towards the truck.

"Sweet potatoes!" Miri cheered as [Y/n] giggle running after her. "I'm done for." Kazuki muttered, "Can't say no to that smile." Kazuki said, "I don't have many memories of smiling when I was her age."

"Me either." Rei said and thought for a moment.

"Yeah, your family sounds like a pain in the ass. Not that I'd know." Kazuki said, "And [Y/n]... I won't ask."

"I wouldn't tell..." Rei said.

"Hey! Can we have a sweet potato?!" Miri yelled from the truck as [Y/n] waved the men down.

"I forgot my wallet!" [Y/n] announced.

Kazuki and Rei played rock-paper-scissors to determine who would go and pay for them. Rei lost.

He bought them some sweet potatoes much to their happiness. Kazuki looked at Miri's and [Y/n]'s matching smiles as they walked back, hand and hand, over with their bag of sweet potatoes.

"We got potatoes!" Miri cheered.

"Eh? Where's mine?" Kazuki asked.

"Nowhere." Rei said.

"Huh?"

"Let's share, Papa."

Kazuki began to fake cry. "What a good kid!"

"You're a lousy actor." Rei said.

"Very lousy." [Y/n] said.

After eating, [Y/n] and Kazuki grew thirsty. "I'm gonna grab drinks." Kazuki said.

"I'll come with." [Y/n] said and walked with him. Their walk was mostly spent in silence.

"It's for the best, you know." Kazuki said, breaking the silence.