Peace

[A/N: I wrote this for English and I got quite good marks on it so though I'd share with you lot. Enjoy, Love Maria Xox <3]

The sheer blast from a bomb not far off knocked me back to my sense, as I trudged stealthily along the barren lands. No man's land. Every man's worst fear and hear I was doing my "part" for my country.

The ground trembled with explosions and the atmosphere was filled with gun shots and cries of men are dying. With a lack of emotion I fired off my gun into the distance, like the robots we were trained to be. Making my way towards the enemy's trench, adrenaline coursing through my veins as I finally reached my destination.

Jumping into the new trench that stood before me, I frantically looked around; checking for enemies and killing when I found them. When all was safe I released the breath I didn't realise I was holding. I had made it. The Germans trench, I should consider myself lucky: not many people get this far. They are either all killed or they literally ran back crying. I'm the real man, I didn't chicken out and I want to be here about as much as the next guy, but I did my "part". Why couldn't they?

Looking around, there is only about fifteen of us left, compared to the hundred of us that started. Whether the others were killed or cowards, doesn't matter now. All that matters is that we made it.

Bodies of our enemies lined the trench, I do not feel sorry for them; I can't they killed my friends, I kill theirs. Isn't that what they taught us? I can't question what is moral and immoral anymore, it just doesn't make sense.

Lost in my thoughts I didn't even notice the cloud of mist that had surrounded us, but I felt it. Attacking my lungs and invading its way into my body; the poisonous fumes aggressively toying with my organs, melting them. It was suffocating me. Killing me. The cries of other men surrounded me, this was it. My time was up; I no longer had the chance to see my family or my friends ever again.

I close my eyes, hoping death would consume me quickly, but I guess life was cruel like that. I was stuck in limbo, the excruciating pain my only hint at to whether or not I was still alive. The cries were quietening down now, showing me that the little few of us that were left were slowly disappearing. My life was gradually leaving my body, taking me to a place of eternal slumber, but I don't care anymore.

I welcome death; it's the only escape from this pain. I'm leaving behind my family and friends, but once I'm finally gone I'll be at peace.

At piece from this pain, at peace from my mind but most importantly, at peace from this war.