Chapter 9 - A Messy Afternoon Part 1

Start from the beginning

"Oh yeah? And why's that?" He said, glaring at me

"Because I know what you're afraid of, and I know how to get what I want from force." I said

He turned away and said "Uh-huh sure you do. Look, can you just leave?"

"Kazushi Hoshino was the member of the yakuza who contacted you and offered you a way out in exchange for a job." I said, ignoring his attitude "How about you tell me who they hired you to take out, and I leave you alone?"

"Some politician." He responded halfheartedly.

"Very specific." I retorted sarcastically.

"Do I look like I have the patience for politics? All I know is the bastard was a part of the diet and was against a bill for prison reform." Kaen said

Against prison reform? Considering they busted Kaen out for the job you'd think they'd be on his side, but I guess he wanted to screw over somebody inside. "And what about what happened on the job?"

"It was over before he knew it. Him and his family look more like charcoal now than they did before I met them." Kaen said nonchalantly

<Rage>

In an instant I had him by the collar, staring him in the face. The nonchalance he had as he talked about ending an entire family's life pissed me off, and I wanted to teach him a lesson, but I can't do that, I need to be better.

<Willpower>

I dropped him on the floor and said "So how'd you get the powers? Before you got out you weren't a metahuman."

From what the ring has told me, extreme situations can trigger sudden mutations because of the metagene that's in the body of a small selection of people, but how the hell did he get like this?

"Shove off." Kaen said, getting back up

"Alright, fine. How about this: why were you so ready to fake your death? I know you don't have a death wish." I said sternly

"I said shove off!" He said stepping towards me and trying to punch me, my shielding making it so that a normal punch is nothing.

I sigh and say "Fine, I guess I'm not getting anything else out of you."

I stepped out of the room and said to Dr. Kurodate "Nothing useful sorry to say."

"That's fine. But before I leave can I ask you to check out something?" Dr. Kurodate said

"Sure, what's up?" I said

"Er, actually nevermind. I'll tell you about it if it's as bad as I think. But is there some way I can contact you?" Dr. Kurodate asked "I mean I don't imagine you'd want me knowing your personal number or anything, but it'd be useful to have some way, you know? I can maybe use my expertise to help you somehow."

I paused to think for a second before I said "Well I mean if we could agree on some number not in service, I could have the ring pick up on it and receive it whenever you call it."

"Right! Nice thinking." Dr. Kurodate said "I have a friend who can look into phone numbers not in service, and if you come back in a day or two I'll have one in mind for us."

"Alright, I can do that." I said, wondering if there's anything else I should ask him

Looking at Dr. Kurodate, it looked like he was about to say something before he was cut off by someone yelling "Kurodate! Quit talking with that 'superhero' or whatever he's calling himself and get back to work!"

Dr. Kurodate's head darted to the voice and responded "Yes sir!" He then turned back to me and said "Sorry, but looks like you gotta go for now. Warden's orders after all."