He seemed confused, but then chuckled a little as he realised how wrong she had got it all. "So, you throw yourself into a fight you wont win?"

"You doubt me?" Her eyes glared at him now and he was quick to shake his head. He climbed to his feet, pulling his satchel over his shoulder before he dared to step a little closer to her.

"You're strong and stubborn. But I believe that will get you killed one day." His right hand lifted, his fingers lightly tracing across her scarred cheek before he sighed softly. "What a waste of such beauty." And then he left, leaving Sigyn more confused than ever over his actions.

It was two days before Uhtred had arrived back to Winchester with Osferth. Sigyn heard ramblings from the townsfolk that he had returned and she quickly dressed for the occasion. Wearing her battle armour, tight leathers and pulling her blonde hair into tight braids so her hair was out of her face and wouldn't disrupt her view during their fight.

"So, you're the one who wants my head?" He had managed to reach her camp before she had even heard his footsteps, he was stealthier than she had imagined. She turned to face him for the second time she had ever met the man, already a fire raging on in her body.

"You killed my kin. It's a fair trade." Her eyes observed Finan, Osferth and Sihtric who had all followed him out here. "Make the square. No outside interference." The men went to gather the things they'd need from the woods to set up the square. Leaving Sigyn and Uhtred alone.

"I didn't know she had family. I didn't want to kill her." He admitted, sitting down on one of the tree trunks as he waited. "She wouldn't want you to die trying to avenge her."

"Don't pretend like you knew my sister. You knew the power obsessed Skade. You didn't know the Skade who cried when our father killed his first deer. The Skade who was pushed into this because of the ambitions of men and turned into someone different. She was kind, beautiful and she was mine." Sigyn felt the wounds of her heart reopen as she spoke about her little sister. And how she had failed to protect her from the evil in the world. The evil of men.

"No. I did not. I knew the Skade who wouldn't let her hold on me go, she was so determined to be Queen. She let madness rule her heart." He sighed a little, he didn't want to have to kill another. But Sigyn had threatened the lives of his men, of his family. He had no choice.

When the men returned and started to set out the shape of the square her gaze briefly met Sihtric. He hadn't so much as looked at her. Maybe he was already married, like he wished.

Sigyn moved to her feet, moving to stand in the middle of the square as she drew out her sword and waited for Uhtred to enter too. The clash of steel echoed around the open field as he easily countered every one of her attacks. But she wasn't really trying yet either, she just wanted to get a feel for his attacks. Her eyes studying his footwork and how he often repeated the same parry, she found her opening. But she could tell he was holding back from her too.

"Who does everyone fear the great Uhtred? When he couldn't even protect his wife." Her words were enough to anger him and his strikes now used his full power.

Between strikes, the pair traded blows with fists and elbows. Sigyn had managed to split Uhtred's lip and catch his right cheek with her blade to land a tiny cut. But her face was bloodied, her nose no longer in position but she quickly wiped the blood on the back of her hand and carried on fighting.

No one ever expected a woman to be so talented in swordplay and often underestimated her, but Uhtred seemed to understand the threat she posed. After a few minutes they both had several cuts to their bodies but nothing life threatening. Always quick to counteract the attack and protect themselves from further harm.