a day of firsts

Before she even opened her eyes, Lilah could tell there was a cat on her. Her face was getting licked with that sand paper feel. Squinting her eyes at the light, she saw it was the tiny, orange, kitten. Dot, who she had taken quite a liking too was always all over Lilah.

It has been around 2 weeks without her mom, but she had visited quite a few times, despite how hard it was to see her mother so frail.

It was much too early to be up, 6:15, and it was her first day. It may only be 7th grade, but she had little classes. It was only one, which replaced her science period. Her schedule went:

1: Health/Music/Art/Gym - all depending on the quarter of the school year.
2: English
3: History
4: Common/Band, interchangeably
4.5: Lunch
5: Science/Littles
6: math

Each class was about 45 minutes long, which was a fair deal. It would usually be a lot of homework, but Lilah was a straight A student, and almost always got her work done in class. Which to be fair, usually wasn't much.

--

Lilah huffed, throwing a third shirt on the floor.  She couldn't find a good shirt to wear, or a tank top! Just as she was digging through, there was a knock on her door.
"Lilah, can I come in?" It was Blair, and he sounded very energetic for a time so early. Grunting in response, she went back to her dresser. She heard a laugh from behind her, which had tears brought to her eyes.
"It's a game day! We wear our band shirts then, remember?"

Lilah felt like an idiot. Blushing, she grabbed the light purple shirt, waving Blair out of the room. Throwing on some shorts over the freshly changed pull-up, she scurried off to Blair's room.

Digging through his sock drawer, she grabbed a pair of long black socks, then replacing her fuzzy socks. Finally, she started on her mess of hair.

Fifteen minutes later, after several tears and head smacks, Lilah's light brown hair was pulled into two pigtails, completed by bows that match her shirt.

Grabbing her bag, she ran downstairs and was grateful to see a packed lunch. School food was never something Lilah could stomach, the smell threw her off. Looking up, she saw Blair twirling his keys on his fingers. She saw the time, and knew they were gonna be late if she didn't hurry up.

Running down the steps with her bare feet, shoes and hands, she was huffing by the time she hopped into Blairs car. Making a face at her dirty socks, she wiped them off on the car mat. Looking up at Blair as she put on her shoes, she couldn't help but take in his beauty. It wasn't even a romantic way, but he had strawberry blond curls, and his skin was so clear, it was crazy that he was a band kid. Even though he was a bit scrawny, he looks like he'd be a bit of a jock.

--

"Lilah, it's not gonna be that bad. I PROMISE you'll be fine." Blair sighed, he had walked her to her homeroom, and she refused to walk inside. He had yet been to his locker, which was still decorated from the year prior.  As the warning bell rang, he patted her on the back before jogging away.

She sighed, it was now it never, and she KNEW these kids, they were just, classified now! At that, she walked inside, looking for a folder with her name on it.

It took her an embarrassingly long time to find it, but she found she was sat next to a boy named Finn, who she has known for a few years, but they were never really friends. After a short conversation she learned that he was also a little! He was shorter then she, around 4'11. He was quite tan, with dark brown eyes. She discovered shortly after, since they were just recovering from covid-19, she would share every single class, minus band and littles, she would be with these people!

  It was also nice to know her best friend Iris was sharing almost all her classes with her! Iris was a caregiver, which would make sense of how they've been friends for so long.