3. another one bites the dust

The walk was long enough for Beth to clear her head

The walk was long enough for Beth to clear her head. Just when she was starting to feel a bit tired, they arrived at the museum. It looked rather beautiful from the outside. The door was slightly open though.

"You've gotta be fucking kidding me" Ellie said, looking at the main door.

"Well, there's a way across from the top floor" Tess explained. 

"Well, then I guess it's fine" Ellie said, sounding a bit stressed.

"We used to take it all the time" Tess said, trying to reinsure the girl. Beth watched as Joel crouched down, examining the fungus.

"It's bone dry" Joel said, getting up, after hitting it with his gun. "It could mean they're all finally dead in there". Tess nodded.

Tess and Joel opened their backpacks and took out a flashlight and later a gun. Beth didn't know if she was supposed to do the same, since they didn't know she had a gun with her.

"Marlene pack you one of these or just sandwiches?" Joel asked Ellie.

"Yeah" Ellie said, going through her backpack. Beth took that as the confirmation she needed and took out her flashlight. She was still hesitant about using her gun.

"Okay, so... more ground rules" Tess said, looking at the two girls. "We're gonna go slowly. If we come up against anything, you two get behind us and ya stay there, okay?".

"Yes" Ellie responded, and Beth just nodded. Tess then took out her gun, pairing it with her flashlight. Beth took that as an opportunity to, with not a lot of confidence, take out her gun.

"Woah, put that down" Tess ordered Beth, surprised as to why the girl would have a gun with her.

"Don't worry, I know how to use it. I wouldn't have it otherwise" Beth said, while closing her backpack so she seemed more chill about it. The truth is, she hadn't used her gun ever since the day of the massacre, and it felt scary in her hands.

Tess looked over at Joel and they shared a look. "Okay" Tess said. "Just... don't use it if it's not necessary".

"I have a spare hand" Ellie added, trying to get her own gun.

"Congratulations" Joel said, making Beth have to hide her chuckle.

Joel walked over to the door, looked inside, and nodded to the three girls. Beth was the first to follow Joel, and then Ellie and Tess did. Beth was freaking out a bit, but she knew if she acted confidently, she would eventually feel it.

It was dark inside. Every step each took echoed through the musuem. Beth looked around, constantly checking if the others were near her. Just around the conner, they saw some very old infected. "Yeah... cooked" Joel confirmed, making Beth quietly sigh out of relief.

"Oh, finally, some fuckin' luck" Tess said.

"I guess we should've gone this way in the first place" Joel said.

The two adults started to walk away, but Beth followed Ellie, who was still looking around. 

"Jeez" Beth said, pointing her flashlight at a guy who looked like had just been killed. She felt Ellie turn around behind her. "Oh shit!" Ellie said, as the two adults rushed over there. "What the fuck did that?"