THE FIRST PLAGUE

Começar do início

"It's Moses," I heard an old man grumble and then--

A ball of mud hit me in the face. I lost my balance and fell into another pile of mud face first.

"OH NO!!" I heard Rani cry.

"Moses!" Tzipporah called out, coming to my aid.

"Sir, are you okay?!" Jamie sidled up to me.

"ALL RIGHT, WHO DID THAT?!" Krishna demanded.

"Krishna, focus! Help us get Moses up!"  Kimiya said, just as I was getting my bearings.

"Got it!" Krishna's temper died down and she helped.

"You're gonna be okay, Moses!" Mei said.

"Wow, that was one hard fall. You okay?" Krishna said.

"So, Moses...how does it feel when you get struck to the ground?"

I looked up from my kneeled position. Aaron was there all right, and he was angry, and rightfully so.

"I didn't mean to cause you more pain. I'm just trying to do as God told me." I explained honestly.

"'God'? When did God start caring about any of us?" Aaron huffed.

I hung my head.

"In fact, Moses, when did you start caring about slaves? Was it when you found out that you were one of us?" Aaron demanded.

"Who do you think you are?! He's TRYING TO HELP! YOU WANNA PICK A FIGHT?!" Krishna snarled at Aaron.

"Don't listen to him!" Tzipporah agreed with Krishna.

"No, he's...he's right." I said, looking down in shame.

"Huh?" Krishna looked confused.

"I didn't see because I did not wish to see." I confessed, still looking down.

"You didn't see because you didn't...wish to see? Ahhh! Well, that makes everything fine, then, doesn't it?" Aaron said until he was met by the glares of--

"Aaron! You shame yourself."

"I thought you would have known better by now!"

Joshua?! He had come back after all, and perhaps he could help me find the parents of Rani and her group. His lean and lank frame never changed. His hair had fallen perfectly to his shoulders. His beard was neatly clipped. With him was his partner, tall, pale, lean and athletic, brown haired, brown eyed, Victor, who regarded Aaron with a disapproving frown.

"Oy! Yer oughta be nice ter yer brother, eh?"

Another voice said, and from the looks of him, his skin was pale, his eyes were odd, his hair was messy with one huge white wispy stripe on the right side of his head. He wore a black robe, and clipped to his belt, it looked to be a knife of some sort. With him was a lady, also pale, with svelte features, hair in two messy buns, and a red robe.

"Wait, what?! This guy is Moses' brother?!" Mei gaped.

"He certainly didn't act like one!" Rani wrinkled her nose.

"He has two brothers?! One adopted and one real?!" Krishna looked absolutely confused.

I wasn't paying attention. All I could see was my oldest sister, Miriam, my mind full of regret, looking back at what I had done to her all those years ago when I was a Prince...when she had told me the truth about my origins, and I had denied it.

"Miriam."

She gave me a gentle smile.

"I'm so sorry," I said sadly, and buried my face into my hand in shame.