Soul

~Steve's POV~

After I put the cube back, I quickly ran to the stairs. Taking three at a time. Pausing a moment to slow my racing heart. Opening the door to the floor I left Daisy on, not paying attention. I nearly ran into an older man, wearing a light gray shirt, and brown jacket with matching sunglasses. "You might want to slow down young man."

"Yes sir, sorry sir." apologizing, both of us continuing on our way. Looking over my shoulder trying to scratch my brain because that old man seemed familiar.

Continuing through the halls I finally made it to the elevator where I last saw Starks daughter. Which was a fact that still was a little hard to wrap my brain around.

~Daisy's POV~

I found Steve hiding behind a stack of crates. As I approached, he kept his head down. Looking at the compass that accompanied him wherever he went. He snapped it closed when he saw me out of the corner of his eye.

"I think I've finally figured out why you decided to come with," he said without looking up. The silence seemed to last an eternity. "Buck put you up to it. Didn't he?" Looking up at me, his eyes filled with unspilled tears.

"He made me promise that I'd make sure you'd come home," taking my turn to avoid his gaze. Kicking a pebble across the ground.

"He was worried that I'd stay here, with Peggy."

"Yeah," taking a seat on the crate next to him. We just sat there, taking in the silence. "I meet her. Peggy." breaking the stillness, by looking at him. "I see why you love her."

"Loved," he muttered, "I loved her, once."

"And now?" cocking my head.

"My heart is with another; it has been for years now. I pray that I can get her back," He stood, whipping away the tears that had finally fallen. "We should get going before someone else recognizes me."

Not even wanting to ask what he meant by that. I stood, putting in the date ready to fall through time once again.

~***~

God, I hate stairs. But of course, the universe had decided to have the stone stored at the top of a fucking mountain. As we made our way up the last flight of stairs my entire body, hurt. Doubling over, wearing as I tried to catch my breath. Steve on the other hand seemed perfectly fine. Unaffected. Little shit.

"How are you completely fine?" I wheezed. Deciding to take the L and laying on the hard ground.

"I'm a super soldier, Daisy," he chuckled, "I am unaffected by stairs."

"Oh, I bet you would be if I pushed you down them," shifting to my feet, glowering up at him.

"I doubt you can, Stark." he laughed again.

"Do you want to test that theory?" arching my eyebrow at him. Shaking his head and muttering something about my father. Huffing a sigh, I followed him brushing off the dirt on my pants as I went.

We barely made it ten feet when "Welcome," echoed through the canyon. Drawing my icer, pointing it at the floating figure, its face was shrouded in shadows. "Daisy, daughter of Anthony," floating closer its face came into view. His face was a red scull, I would have sworn that Steves's teeth were grinding loud enough for me to hear. "Steven son of Sara, you are one that I would have never expected to see again."

"Yeah, well we don't all get what we want, Schmidt," Steve nearly spat.

"I hope you know that there is nothing for you here, Captain." the ghost dude, Schmidt, as Steve called him lulled his head to the side, "Due to another already retrieving the infinity stone that resided here."

"Yeah, ok" I stepped in front of my companion, "Take a chill pill cap," I whisper to him as I pass. "That's why we're here, Ghost of Christmas future." I heard a stifled laugh from behind me. As Schmidt struggled not to roll his eyes.  "So how does this work? Do we give you the stone and just leave or...." I trailed off.

"Follow me." the floating dude turned and headed further from the infernal staircase. Turning to look at Steve, she just shrugged before following him.

~***~

"So, what's the deal with Frankie D. Koolaid?" I asked.

"Who?" Steve's brow farrowed.

"Oh, you know. The pitcher dude from Kool-Aid commercials."

"Out of all the references that you and your dad say there are very few that I actually get." shaking his head, "But to answer your question; Schmidt was a Nazi scientist that eventually founded Hydra-"

"Wait, as in the red skull?" cutting him off, along with nearly tripping in the process over a rock. "I thought that it was just a nickname, not like a physical description of his," gesturing to the floating figure before us.

"Yeah, it was somewhat unnerving when he took off his face and that was underneath."

I was about to respond when the literal founder of hydra turned around and gestured for us to come closer. Doing so Steve led the way, standing ever so slightly in front of me.

"Normally it is a soul for a soul. Those who seek the stone have to sacrifice what they hold most dear. But in this case, it would be the opposite, Captain."

The captain stepped forward, opening the case, to grab the orange stone. He extended his hand, opening his closed fist to show Red Skull the stone. He passed the case to me as the ghost floated to the cliff.

Following, Steve leaned to look over the edge. He asked something to Schmidt. Then extended his hand, and dropped the stone. Right as it left his palm, he pivoted. Closing his fist. Then it collided right with Schmidt's nose less face.

A flash of light later and then I was sitting up in a pool of water. Dripping wet. Turning to see where Steve was, I saw him in a tight embrace with a redhead. She was curled tightly as she could into him. Her first was tightly holding into his suit.

I could tell that he was muttering something to her, but I couldn't hear it. They pulled just far apart to rest their foreheads against each other. Clearing my throat, to get their attention. The redhead swiveled, drawing her gun from her hip and aiming it right at me. Putting herself perceptivity between Steve and me.

"Wow, ok. Um, I don't think that's necessary," throwing my hands up instinctively.

Tasha, this is Daisy," Steve placed a calming hand on her lower back, "Buck asked her to come with me." she slowly lowered her gun. Looking me up and down. Her gaze snagged for a second for the icer on my thigh. Then nodded in greeting.

"Well, it's great to meet you, T-" I started.

"Natasha, or Agent Romanoff." She cut me off.

"Wait as in, the Black Widow, Natasha Romanoff?" my jaw dropped, quickly looked between her and the captain.

"Yes," She answered calmly. Steve stood offering Natasha his hand, rolling her eyes she took it, then he handed her a vile of Pim particles.

The three of us entered the date and time that Steve and I had left. Falling through time one last time.