It's Time to Say Goodbye

Start from the beginning

Arven turned around, confused, and instantly, his eyes widened at his Pokémon not only standing, but walking at his feet. He tried to take a step forward, but he lost his balance and fell to his knees. He had the largest grin on his face, new tears streaming down his cheeks realizing that his best buddy was fully healed. We had done it. Mabosstiff returned his Pokéball to Arven's hand, and gave him a soft ruff. Arven squeezed the ball in his palm, fully embracing his emotions, letting his eyes tremble, lip quiver, and tears splash onto the floor. "I know, bud," he answered him. "Me, too."

I sat quietly, watching the touching moment, my own cheeks aching from smiling. I blinked and felt my own tears leak out. It was finally over. It felt like a long journey, but it would make the one person I really cared about happy for the rest of his life. Arven stood up from hugging his partner and wiped his tears with his white sleeves before noticing me alone. We made eye contact, frozen in time, both of us in a shocked expression, not knowing what to say. I was the first to move, standing up slowly to walk towards the two. Koraidon stayed on the side, watching it all play out. Should I be over there? This entire journey was about Arven and Mabosstiff. Did I have a place to celebrate? Would I ruin the moment if—

Arven ran at me, arms wide and suffocated me in the tightest hug I've ever experienced. He was slightly lifting me up, and I had to raise my heels and wrap my arms around his neck to stop myself from falling. I didn't think he realized our height difference or the fact that I could barely breathe in his passionate embrace. He only let me down to adjust his grip to my waist, pulling away from the hug and letting me take a breath only to surprise me with a fervent kiss, eyes shut tightly in full commitment to his affectionate declaration. My body tingled as if I were falling for him all over again. I've been wanting him, and he wanted me, and this moment was the perfect shared compromise of what made us both happy: I had freedom and he had Mabosstiff. I leaned into him to reciprocate the intense feelings.

As our lips separated and we locked eyes, enjoying everything about each other, I noticed both Mabosstiff and Koraidon gawking at us both. I snuggled into Arven's side, holding him with an arm. "Didn't think I'd get this far, huh?"

"I wasn't going to mope around forever," Arven told Mabosstiff. The healed Pokémon rubbed his head on his friend's leg, and Arven sighed, petting him before walking over to his backpack and taking out his book. He rubbed the cover, taking a long look at it. "I guess we don't need this anymore."

I put my hand on his shoulder, also taking what could be my last glimpse of the mysterious book, but he was right: there was nothing left for us in it. Mabosstiff was healed, the Herba Mystica was found, and a new, calmer adventure awaited us. "Where are you going to keep it?"

Arven put the book away. "I think it's time I finally take you inside the light station." I remembered the building connected to the lighthouse back home. It's where I first met Arven. It's where Nemona and I wished for good luck. It's where Koraidon became the first member of my team. A lot had happened there that I didn't realize would mean so much to me in the end.

"Wanna try flying?" I asked him, mischievously. Koraidon croaked with the mention of it.

Arven looked at Koraidon without a hint of bitterness. "Yeah," he laughed. "Why not?"

I gently shoved him towards his things. "Hurry up then! Los Platos is on the other side of the island!"

"Okay! Okay!" Arven began packing up while I put out the campfire. Smothering the wood until it stopped smoking, not wanting to set the entire island on fire after we left. Koraidon met us outside and scanned the sky while standing at the shore. He bent down to let Arven and I on before lifting back up to prepare for takeoff. I held onto the curves in Koraidon's shoulder's, and Arven held onto me. We shook as our ride adjusted its trajectory with his hind legs before slamming the ground with a loud crack to launch us into the sky.

We both screamed, seeing the ground disappear all around us. "Why did I think this would be a good idea?" Arven shouted.

"You could've told me no!" I scolded. Koraidon's tendrils had expanded into a pair of huge wings and kept us up in the air with a few occasional flaps. When we reached a stable elevation, I was able to relax, and I felt Arven loosen up behind me. "What a nice view," I commented.

"I'd never get used to this," Arven breathed.

I looked around, almost the entire island within view. I was able to locate the mountains and Asada Desert and the mesa we were heading towards. I saw Medali and Cortondo as we flew over the towns. "I wonder what everyone's thinking right now."

"Probably that we're lunatics," Arven barked. "How are you so calm?"

I shrugged. "I'm pretty terrified, but there's nothing I could do, right?" Life was full of these moments where we had to let things happen whether it was good or bad. We could always fix it later, but there was no point in fighting against it. Sometimes, we had to accept what was happening and wait it out. Embrace it, let it go, or learn to forgive yourself for things you couldn't control. I took a deep breath of the cold air. Look at me now, Mom. You can't hurt me up here.

"There it is!" Arven pointed down at one of the island's many lighthouses. Koraidon heard him and began his gradual descent, aware of the two mortal humans on his back that wouldn't appreciate a dramatic dive. We circled around the area a few times, my stomach dropping whenever we sank a little too fast for my liking. Eventually we hit ground and we both hopped off Koraidon, forgetting how to walk temporarily, our legs wobbling like jelly. We both laughed at it, helping each other up and steadying ourselves. Koraidon made sure we could stand before he purred appreciation and retreated to his ball, and Arven and I were faced with the tall lighthouse against the warm afternoon sun.

"It's been a while since we were last here," I mentioned.

"Yeah." He held out his hand for me to take. "Time to say goodbye."