Chapter 3- Suspect 1

Y/n came into the police station the next day dressed in a button up and slacks instead of the normal janitor uniform- jeans, a black Gotham city polo shirt, and special yellow latex gloves with special protection for when she had to clean the morgue. No, today, she was dressed professionally. 

Dick took a moment to admire the way she looked today. He could always appreciate a pretty girl in a suit. "Y/n," he said as she got closer. "You look nice. You look ready to solve a case."

She looked at him, a little amused. " Uh- thank you. You... also look nice."

Dick chuckled. "I wear this everyday."

"That's why you're ready to solve a case everyday, Detective," she said.

He chuckled again before turning to his computer at the desk. "Alright, here's the information we have. Our victim, Amy Garcia, 31, was found in the pond at North Gotham Public Park. I had Officer Mannet check out the park for the red clay you found on her shoes, but there's no sign of it. I've searched the online websites of every Home Depot, Lowes, and gardening stores in the area. The clay's not commonly sold, so I was able to get ahold of some of the managers and get a list of recent buyers. I've run the list through a background check. None of them have any past misdemeanors outside of speeding tickets."

Y/n took in all the information and thought about it. "So, we need to figure out if any of them have any connection to Garcia."

"Exactly."

"What do we know about her, anyway? Have you talked to her family?"

"Yeah, when she was first brought in." Dick shrugged. "She was single, involved in the dating scene. Worked at an ophthalmologist's office doing insurance and all that. The ophthalmologist's office is run by her father. He's pretty rich, he's friendly with her, but the two of them are fairly distant, according to her mother. We know she has some close friends in the area."

"What about enemies?" Y/n asked.

Dick nodded and looked back to the computer. "None that we know of. Besides some old high school rivals, and an ex-boyfriend."

"What do we know about them?"

"All moved out of Gotham years ago."

Y/n nodded. "So the next step is to talk to these people on your list. The recent buyers of the clay. How many are there?"

"Only three." Dick stood up. "Care to join me?"

Y/n nodded. "Of course. Who's first?"

"David Davies." 

The two of them walked to the door and out to the police cars. He started walking to the right of the car, intending to open the door for her, but she walked to the drivers side. "You're gonna drive?" he asked. 

She looked up, a little startled. "What?" Then she looked back at the car and noticed the side she was on. "Oh! No, sorry. I just-" she shook her head as if trying to shake her brain into place. "My mind must've been wandering."

"Mine does that all the time," Dick joked. He opened the passenger door for her, and they brushed shoulders and she climbed in. He lingered on it a little longer than necessary, then pushed it out of his mind and went over to the drivers side. Instead he thought about the way she had gone straight for the left side of the car before seeming startled about being on the drivers side. Being a detective, and being nightwing, overthinking is a lifestyle for him. He couldn't help but wonder if it meant something. Is she from europe? Did she grow up somewhere where cars weren't the main source of travel? Was her mind really just wandering, or was it habit?