Chapter 4

"And so, Britain had these advantages over China and India that allowed it to industrialize first. The abundant coal deposits allowed them to free themselves from the restraints imposed on them by the biological old regime."
Mr.Morris was so engrossed in his lecture that he didn't realize fourth period was almost over. He glanced at the clock on the wall and then finally turned off the PowerPoint.
"Alright students, remember your first paper is due at the end of this week. I would be happy to edit any drafts if you'd like." At this he looked straight at me. "Ms.Walters, you're got the highest mark in the class for the last paper, I'd like to see you do that again for this one as well. So send me a draft please."
"Yes Mr.Morris." I begrudgingly mumbled.
Mr.Morris was always lecturing me about my potential to do well in the class, and that I should put in the effort more to excel even further. Deep down, I knew he was right, but history class being an option I always found it challenging to prioritize it over my core classes.
Lind and I packed up our stuff and headed out the class with the rest of the students. A very long Monday had just finished, and I was anxious to get home so I could resume studying for my psychology midterm with Phil.
"El, you're didn't get to finish what happened at the dinner on Saturday night," Lind shoulder bumped me as we turned at the end of the hallway and started walking off towards the double doors exiting out of campus.
I grimaced, and my mind flashed back to the night.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"But now I know that I was wrong." I side stepped around him and started making my way back to the house. I knew that he wouldn't follow me, but a very small part of me kept hoping that he would.
He didn't.
Once inside, I saw Josh with a couple other guys by the living room and started walking towards them. I turned around discreetly and looked out the window to find Jayden speaking with a couple other guys and girls from our high school. Dejected, I turned back around quick before he saw me looking at him, and walked over to Josh.
"Hey El! Nice to see you again, didn't think the guy would let you go with how he was looking at you." Josh winked and nudged me.
"What are you talking about? The guy can barely stand to be around me," I tried to joke, but couldn't make myself laugh.
Josh looked at me surprised, and was about to say something, then changed his mind. I looked at him questioningly, but he waved it off and turned to the two guys he was with.
"Guys, this is Elena Walters, we went to middle school together. Elena, this is Aaron and Blake. Jay and I used to be in a soccer team with them back in high school." Josh gestured to the two boys, who smiled politely at me.
I smiled back, and extended my hand to them. "Hi, nice to meet you."
"You as well, Madame. Has anyone ever told you that this dress you have on make your eyes sparkle?" Aaron wiggled his eyebrows and earned a elbow jab from Blake, who rolled his eyes as Josh and I laughed.
"Dude can you stop flirting with every girl you see? This is THE Elena Walters, you know, Jay's best friend since forever." Blake smiled apologetically at me. "Please excuse my idiot of a brother."
"Brother?" I exclaimed.
All three guys nodded. "Yeah, we are fraternal twins. Thank the heavens too, I don't know what I'd do if I had been born with his face." Blake teased and his brother frowned.
"Oh don't lie to yourself bro, you wish you could look like me. In fact, everyone does." Aaron puffed out his chest and we all laughed.
Blake scoffed. "Keep dreaming punk." He turned his attention back to me. "So Elena, you're in university right? What are you majoring in?'
"Business." I smiled at him. "Took me a while to finally decide. But I'm enjoying all my classes. I'm taking stats, Econ, English and history. What about you?"
"Chemical engineering." He laughed as my eyes widened. "It's actually not so bad. Anyone could do it."
"Ok dude, I beg to differ. That one engg class I had to take for an option, I barely passed." Josh scoffed and looked at me. "This guy is a pure genius."
Blake shook his head, seeming to be uncomfortable with the praise and tried to change the subject. "So Elena, how's it like seeing Jay again? We kept in touch when he was in England and he'd always talk about--" he was suddenly nudged by Josh who anxiously shook his head at him.
"Talked about how different England is from America!" Josh finished lamely. I furrowed my eyebrows, and was going to ask Blake what he had really meant to say when Aaron jumped into the rescue.
"Hey guys, they are cutting the cake! Let's go!" He dragged Blake off with him and Josh turned to me.
"Sorry El, it's just something Jayden should tell you himself."
"He already did Josh. I'll always be 'a couple steps behind him." I scoffed,suddenly wanting to be home, in my bed wrapped in my comforter.
Josh looked confused. "What are you talking about?"
"He hates me. He told me, how our friendship was nice while it lasted but he has to start hanging out with people his own age."
Josh's face suddenly filled with understanding, as if something had finally dawned on him.
"He doesn't hate you." Josh laughed softly and looked at me.
"Well that's the impression he's been giving me."
"He doesn't though."
"How do you know?"
"I just do."
"That's not even a proper answer."
"He-" Josh stopped himself. Why couldn't people ever finish their sentences? I mentally groaned.
"Look El, he's been through a lot. Just being away from home and everything he's known his whole life. Now that he's ack he needs time to readjust. Just give him that. Some time. He'll come around." Josh placed an arm around me and started steering me toward the door leading back out into the backyard, where everyone was being served cake. As I glanced out the large full sized window, I was startled to find Jayden looking at me, his jaw set and his eyes hard. I gulped and turned to Josh.
"Hey, I think I'm actually going to head back home now." I could feel Jayden's eyes still on me. "Tell your parents I said hi?"
"What? Leaving already?" Josh pulled a puppy dog face and I grinned.
"Yeah I have to wake up early tomorrow to study for my midterm."
"Alright, fine you nerd. But we have to catch up sometime." He grinned and pulled me in for a hug.
"We really do. I'll text you? Same number right?" I said after he released me.
"Yep!" He grinned. "Can't wait to hear what trouble you've been up to."
I rolled my eyes. "Oh a lot, obviously. I'll see you later then." I laughed and started walking towards the front entrance. I stopped to tell my mom I was leaving, and although she looked hesitant, she didn't question me, which I was thankful for. My parents had come separately, and so I had driven here in my own car.
I got in my car and started the engine. The thought of going home was comforting. I did not feel like being there with Jayden looking at me as if I was the last person he wanted to see.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Hello, earth to Elena?" I was suddenly woken up from my thoughts. I looked up to see we had stopped in front of my car.
"You ok? I asked you how the night went and you kind of grew silent. What happened?" Lind looked at me worriedly.
"Let's get in the car. I'll tell you on the way home."