I followed my siblings and Aslin out of the room, trailing after them. With every step my breaths became shorter, my body struggling against me.

"Are you alright, Maeve?" Fia asked softly, lowering her voice so our brothers wouldn't change their minds about letting me meet the princes.

"I'm perfectly fine," I gritted my teeth together, the constricting feeling on my chest worsening. "I just want to get this over with."

"Your highnesses," The guards at the doors tilted their heads to the side, but their eyes drifted to my sister and me.

Killian stiffened, letting out a low growl that had the doors swinging open. The males hiding from the wrath of my brothers behind the heavy wood. Cowards.

"You're late," Edwina sneered as soon as we stepped into the room. "At least you look somewhat acceptable. Though I doubt any of the princes will want you."

"Edwina," Rasten said warningly, "Behave. They will be here soon and I am sure none of you will do anything to embarrass me."

"Of course not, my king," Edwina tilted her head to the side, a soft smile on her lips as she rejoined him on the dais his throne was on.

A small crown rested on her head, matching the larger one my father wore. Her dress almost swallowed her petite form when she perched herself delicately on the small throne he had custom made for her. Rasten didn't smile when she joined him though. The wrinkles lining his face seemed deeper than usual, exaggerating his scowl.

"You four better be nice to them." His raspy command echoed throughout the room, "And Az your mate is not allowed to say a word unless spoken to. Understand?"

My brother bristled, but Aslin shook her head once and he stayed silent. Now that he had managed to offend all of us the corners of his mouth lifted just slightly. The death trap of a dress only seemed to get tighter with each torturously slow minute.

The doors swung open and I held my breath, expecting the worst. Fia stiffened beside me, her sharp gaze glued to the doors. A guard stepped inside, his face drained of color.

"Your highnesses." He blinked, taking in a deep shuddering breath, "The princes of Dradan have arrived."

As soon as he finished his words three pairs of red eyes appeared from the shadows. Fia's nails dug into my arm, reminding me to breathe. Endless expanses of inky black skin stepped into the room. The high ceilings seemed to shrink as soon as they entered, the last bits of air sucked out of the room. Light streaming in from the floor to ceiling windows highlighted the large horns twisting out from their scalps.

They were all over six feet, and could easily over power me. Visions of those large hands clasping my wrists and leaving me completely powerless scratched at my mind. Forcing me to do what he wanted. Ignoring my pleas. Completely isolated from my family, from hope.

"Easy," Fia soothed, "You'll be okay."

I didn't reply, my gaze glued to them. The two males that entered the room first glanced around the room, fiery eyes narrowing in on Rasten. Still sitting on his gaudy throne. The third and final male held back, his gaze focused on the windows on the far side of the room. The color of flame briefly met my eyes before he resumed looking outside, the muscles in his sharp jaw ticking.

"Hello!" My fathers voice boomed suddenly, my body instinctively flinching, hunching in on myself, "Glad you all made it safely across the seas."
"King Rasten," One of the males stepped forward, "I thank you for allowing my brother and I to visit your country."

His voice was thick with an accent, muddling some of his words. Fia chewed her lip, no doubt wondering if she could convince one of them to teach her how to speak their native language. Though that would ruin the ditsy facade she wore in front of anyone who wasn't family.

"Of course!" He boomed again, waving his hand, "Please let me announce my children. Killian, my eldest son, and my daughters Fia and Maeve."

Killian gritted his teeth angrily, just like my sister and I did when Az was left out of the list. I dared a glance at my other brother, who seemed unconcerned, but Aslin looked like she was ready to rip off his head for insulting her mate. If it weren't for the arm tightly wrapped around her waist she probably would have, murderous little thing that she is.

"I am Aldon, son of our..." He paused, cutting a look to the male beside him, "Queen. My brother is Knox, and the male beside me is Izaak."

Rasten's brows furrowed slightly before the smile he plastered across his face returned. I glanced over at the other prince, large arms crossed against his chest. His gaze practically glued to the windows like he was wishing he could hurl himself out of them rather than be stuck inside with us. Not that I blamed him.

"My council members will be arriving shortly," Rasten waved a hand at the large table taking up most of the space, "Please sit. I will have refreshments brought in shortly."

The horned males shared a look, red eyes cutting towards Rasten before quickly looking back at each other. My eldest brother's fists were clenched, but an easy smile remained on his face. Doing a surprisingly good job at not showing how irritated he was at the king's rudeness.

"Perhaps we can hold off until tomorrow to discuss things, King Rasten." Izaak spoke up, those red eyes settling on Rasten, "It has been a long journey and my princes wish to take a moment to settle in before discussing important matters. If that is alright with you of course."

I turned away from the scene, hiding my amusement with a hand pressed to my lips. It was rare to hear someone speak up against the king and do it so well he didn't know whether to agree or be annoyed. It helped that Izaak spoke so fluently that if I closed my eyes I would have thought he grew up here, speaking our language.

When I had my emotions back under control I turned back to them. The king's face had pinched together like he tasted something sour. Whatever he had planned for this meeting must have been riding on the princes being worn out and not thinking clearly. He gritted his teeth together, eyes narrowing.

"That's a wonderful idea," Rasten muttered, forcing a smile onto his face, "But I must insist that you all join us tonight. We are having a feast in your honor."

"How generous of you," Aldon replied in that thick accent of his, "It will be interesting to learn more about your people."

"My eldest daughter will show you where the bathing chambers are and where you will be staying." Rasten nodded to me, drawing their gazes to me.

Anxiety pricked at my skin, the familiar fear that always came with male attention clawing at my lungs. The king stared at me waiting for me to crack, to burst into tears and give up. Instead I lifted my chin, meeting his icy gaze with a small smile.

"Of course, my king," His eyes widened briefly at the polite words before narrowing again, "Please follow me, princes."

What are we thinkin' about this story?

The Dragon's Kingdomजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें