Chapter 25: Welcome to New York

Chapter 25

Welcome to New York

From: Unknown Number

Please call me.

As soon as our plane landed, I made the decision to open my phone to face all the calls, text messages, and social media messages I haven't checked in the last 24 hours.

I immediately blocked that unknown number, and all of Yap's number. His corporate number, included. Even though I rarely use my social media accounts these days, I opened those up just to block his social media accounts.

It's the right thing to do.

I'm going to do right by them. I owe it to them, and to myself to do good and to accomplish what I came here for. Just like what I promised to myself in that plane... I'm going to give my all, my one-hundred and ten percent in this. All the laser-focus I had for tennis, I'll give it to modeling.

If I have to work myself to the bone, I'll do it.

My shot for the Olympics has come and gone. I'll channel every hurt, anger, and passion in this trip. If I lose in the end, at least I'll know I gave my all and more. Just like what Sir Felix said, all my problems, confused feelings, and fucked up mess I left behind would have to stay at the backburner.

I know it will keep me from thinking about the people I left in Manila.

And the man I left my heart to in the Philippines.

I'm just going to fucking grind from here on out. If I have to bleed my heart out, I will.

After all, that's all I could do right now.

***

It's been 24 hours since we touched down in the Big Apple and all I did was sleep. Well, beauty sleep, according to Sir Simon. I needed all of it to recuperate from all the crying I did yesterday, and to be honest, last night as well. It's a miracle that I finally resembled my old self again.

Just in time for my meeting with the person who scouted me on Instagram.

"Are you sure you don't need anything, Asher?" Sir Red asked me for what seemed like the hundredth time today.

I smiled at him. "I assure you, Sir. I'm good."

"Hindi mo pa sinasabi sa amin anong napag-usapan niyo ni Felix," sabi naman ni Sir Simon. He lasted 24 hours bago niya itinanong ito sa akin. "Let's talk about that while we're in this horrible traffic jam."

I faked a smile. "Sir Simon, don't worry. He was just concerned because I was crying."

"Felix? Concerned?" bulalas nito. Mas lalong naging concerned dahil sa aking sagot. "Now you're worrying me even more, Asher. Tell me the truth, did he threaten you? Did he say anything to upset you more?"

Well... Technically, no. He didn't. He just implied it, but never directly told me. So I shook my head. "No, Sir. I promise, he just gave me a little career advice. Wala naman po siyang sinabi na masama."

"Hmm... Are you sure?" tanong pa nito, hirap paniwalaan ang mga sinasabi ko. "You're not just saying this to be polite?"

Natawa ako sa sinabi nito. "Kailan pa po ako naging polite?" I lied to them flawlessly. I know I'm being an ass, but that's a small price I'm willing to pay. I've always been an ass to others, nothing new.

Because even if it's a white lie, it's still a lie. I'm also just learning how to finally protect my peace.

Sir Red bursted out laughing. "Okay, let's stop talking about Felix. Let's talk to her about the things she should expect about this meeting," sabi pa nito matapos tumawa.