Scared of the Storm

Lee had been working in the quiet of his office for a while now. Well.. It was mostly quiet. Other than the loud pattering of rain on the roof and the loud booms of thunder that had very short pauses in between. He figured it must be pretty bad out there..

But, nonetheless, somehow the storm relaxed him in a way. Almost like it was taking away all the things that weighed heavy on his M.I.N.D., allowing him to only focus on what he was doing. Which of course was a routinely check on weapons. If he didn't check them often, he'd get paranoid that one could potentially mouth function and hurt someone.

It was nearly midnight by now, and he'd just finished, slightly stretching as he leaned back in his chair. But that was when a sudden knock resounded through his room.

He perked up and looked over at the door, wondering who'd be knocking this late at night.. But he allowed entry anyway.

"Come in."

But he was surprised to see your figure walk in through the door, wrapped tightly in a blanket.. You appeared to have maybe been crying, but not for very long.. And you looked pretty shaken. Worry washed over him again very quick..

"Commandant? What's wrong?"

He stood up to approach you, and that was when the thunder boomed quite loud.. Louder than it normally had. You flinched and ran towards him, diving into his arms in search of comfort, and that's when he knew..

'She's scared of the storm..'

Though his face was pretty bright red at the moment, he didn't focus on that, and instead focused on calming you down. He wrapped his arms around you hesitantly as you trembled.

"The storm won't hurt you here, alright?.. Your safe with me."

Lee remembered all of the nights that he had to comfort Murray for the same thing.. He'd come home after working a long night and find Murray still awake, attempting to protect himself by pulling the blanket further above his head.

While Lee thought it was rather.. odd.. to take such an action, knowing the blanket wouldn't protect him, he chose not to bring that to light. Instead, he did what any good brother would do, and reassured him that he was alright.

Sometimes, he'd hug Murray. Others, he'd sit with him till he fell asleep, or, he'd read Murray something interesting related to engineering. Lee had gotten him into that after all.

After taking care of Murray for so long, this was a field he understood. However, what was difficult was the fact he had no idea what you wanted or needed for comfort.. He doubted you wanted to hear about his engineering rambles, and he had zero clue what else you'd want.

So how could he comfort you if he wasn't sure what you were comfortable with and what you weren't?

"Would you like me to sit with you in your room at least until you fall asleep?.."

Lee slightly tensed up when you shook your head.. If you didn't want that.. what did you want? Were you really that scared?

"A-Ah.. I suppose you could sleep in here.. I can get some extra blankets, and you could sleep on the couch?"

Lee nearly let out a sigh of relief when he seen you nod your head.. At least you were comfortable enough with that. He realized now that maybe you just wanted to be in the comfort of his room and in his presence.. He supposed that if he made you feel safer, that it'd be alright.. Though he was unsure how he made you feel that way, when he'd never really done anything at all.

After several long minutes of finding blankets, Lee finally made something comfortable enough for you on the couch. You had patiently waited on the end of his bed, snuggling and hiding in your blanket to feel comfort while Lee couldn't hug you..

"Alright.. Is this good enough?"

You nodded and Lee slightly smiled before walking over to you. He shyly held out a hand for you to take and helped you over to the couch. Finally getting you settled in, he went to return to his own bed and lay down himself.. when suddenly a loud boom went off again.

You sprung from the couch and over to Lee once more, back hugging him and stopping him in his tracks.

He glanced back at you and slightly sighed.. At this point, he was sure you wouldn't be able to even sleep alone.. And as much as the thought made him very flustered, he knew you probably needed it.

"W-Why don't you just sleep with me instead?.. Maybe you'll be more comfortable with that?"

He feels your head slightly move in a nod, and despite his burning face, he complies anyway, and leads you over to his bed before laying down. You lay down after him. And while he expects you to lay on your own side of the bed, it seems he's in for a surprise.

"Alright.. Go ahead and get comforta- H-Huh? C-Commandant!.."

You dive into his arms once more, quickly hugging him, leaving Lee completely unsure of how to react. His cooling system is definitely broken by now as he stares down at you with wide eyes..

"A-Ah.. Okay then.. I-If that makes you comfortable, I guess."

He swallows a bit harder than he'd intended, and feels the urge to wrap his arms around your small frame.. But he's very unsure. Would you be alright with that?.. Or would you push him away?..

"C-Could I.. put my arms around you?"

You nod softly, and Lee slowly wraps his arms around your waist in return. He's surprised at how well you fit his hold.. Almost like you were-.. Wait.. No.. That's impossible..

You huddle into him a bit more before finally relaxing. Lee can even tell that you seemed to be calmer and more okay with the storm now that you were in his arms instead of laying alone. This makes him smile just a little bit.. But only if you could see it.

It's not long before you soon fall asleep, and once Lee realizes, he's still kind of surprised about it..

'Is she really that comfortable around me?..'

He glances down at you silently before boldly pressing his soft lips to your forehead. His grip around you tightens just a little before finally, he soon drifts into his own peaceful sleep.

<3