1x1-Pilot

At the FOOTBALL FIELD - DAY. The cheerleading squad, the Cheerios, are practicing routines. They are being watched and timed by SUE SYLVESTER, their coach. One of the cheerleaders falls from the top of the formation.

SUE says to the Cheerios "You think this is hard? Try being waterboarded. That's hard."
In the PARKING LOT - DAY. WILL SCHUESTER drives in and parks his clunky car. Will approaches a dumpster where a group of jocks including NOAH "PUCK" PUCKERMAN and FINN HUDSON are surrounding KURT HUMMEL.
WILL says to Kurt "Making some new friends, Kurt?"
PUCK says to Will "He sure is, Mr. Schue."
WILL says to Finn "Hey, Finn, you still owe me that report on que hace el verano pasado."
FINN says to Will (Confused) "What?"
WILL says to Finn "What you did last summer."
FINN says to Will "Almost halfway done with almost all of it, Mr. Schue."
WILL walks away
PUCK says to Kurt "It's hammer time!"
PUCK and another jock pick KURT up.
KURT says to Puck "Please, this is from Marc Jacobs' new collection!"
FINN says to Puck "Wait."
The jocks release KURT. Kurt takes off his jacket and hands it to FINN.
FINN says to Puck "Okay."
PUCK and the other jock toss KURT into the dumpster. FINN appears troubled.
At the FOOTBALL FIELD - DAY. QUINN FABRAY jumps and performs a cheerleading pose in the air.
IN school HALLWAY - DAY. WILL stands in front of a trophy display, admiring a first-place trophy that WMHS won at the 1993 Show Choir Championships. Next, he looks at a plaque awarded to LILIAN ADLER (1937-1997) with the quote "By its very definition, Glee is about opening yourself up to joy."
IN a CLASSROOM - DAY. WILL is teaching a spanish class. FINN is in the class.
WILL says to the class "Como esta usted? Yo me llamo Guillermo."
The CLASS (repeats to Will,bored) "Como esta usted? Yo me llamo Guillermo."
WILL says to class "Que lastima, hojala que se sienta mejor."
CLASS repeats to Will "Que lastima..."
At the FOOTBALL FIELD - DAY. Male cheerleader jumps and performs a cheerleading pose in the air.
IN the CHOIR ROOM - DAY. SANDY RYERSON and HANK SAUNDERS are singing "Where Is Love?" from Oliver! together. RACHEL BERRY is watching, upset.

IN the TEACHERS LOUNGE - DAY. WILL and KEN TANAKA are standing around a coffee maker without a coffee pot.
WILL says to Ken "Where's the coffee pot?"
KEN says to Will "Figgins got rid of it. Budget cuts. You know, I know for a fact that they are still getting hot java at Carver. We should strike."
SUE enters with coffee drinks.
SUE says to Ken and Will "Hello, boys. Who needs a pick-me-up?"
KEN says to Sue "Wow, lattes!"
SUE says to Ken "Yeah, I am a bit of a coffee snob. Now, the key to a perfect latte, is in the temperature of the steamed milk. I like mine scalding."
EMMA enters the teachers lounge
KEN says to Emma "Hi, Emma."
EMMA says to Ken "Hey, Ken."
Emma says to Ken "Will, hi."
WILL says to Emma "Hey."
EMMA says to Sue "What's with all the lattes?"
SUE says to Emma "Oh, Emma, I just felt so awful that Figgins cut the coffee budget to pay for a nutritionist for the Cheerios."
EMMA says to Sue "Yeah, I heard you guys went, like, $600 over budget on that."
SUE says to Emma "My performers didn't get on Fox Sports Net last year because they ate at Bacon Junction."
EMMA says to Sue "Since when are cheerleaders performers?"
SUE says to the teachers "Your resentment is delicious. Well, I have a phoner in a couple of minutes. It's an interview on the telephone with a major media outlet. I'll probably do it on my iPhone. Enjoy."
WILL says to Sue "Thanks a lot, Sue."
SUE walks out
KEN walks over and sits down across from EMMA.
KEN says to Emma "I missed you at the, uh, singles mixer last weekend, Emma."
EMMA says to Ken "Yeah, I know. Big pipe exploded in my building. It was wild. I hate those mixer things though, I mean, it's like a big meat market. It's just, ugh. I did give my number to a fireman though. But he hasn't called."
WILL says to Emma "You know what, there's someone out there for everyone. I wouldn't even sweat it."
EMMA says to Will "Hey, did you hear that Sandy Ryerson got fired?"
WILL says to Emma "Really? Well, who's going to take over Glee Club?"
EMMA says to Will "Don't know."
IN the PRINCIPAL'S OFFICE - DAY. PRINCIPAL FIGGINS and WILL are seated across from each other.
WILL says to Figgins "I'd like to take over Glee Club."
FIGGINS says to Will "You want to captain the Titanic, too?"
WILL says to Figgins "I think I can make it great again. There is no joy in these kids. They feel invisible. That's why every one of them has a MySpace page."
FIGGINS says to Will "60 bucks a month. That's what I need to keep this program up."
WILL says to Figgins "And you-you expect me to pay it?"
FIGGINS says to Will "I'm certainly not going to pay for it. We're not talking about Cheerios here, Will. They were on Fox Sports Net last year. When Glee Club starts bringing that kind of prestige to the school again, you can have all the money you want. Until then, 60 bucks a month. And you've got to use the costumes and props you already have. But we need the stools for wood shop."
IN WILL'S BEDROOM - NIGHT. TERRI SCHUESTER is asleep. WILL lies wide awake.
WILL's voiceover
Hiding the $60 a month from my wife, Terri, was going to be hard. But I had a bigger problem. How was I going to get these kids motivated? One thing I knew for sure, we needed a new name.
WILL sits up, excited.
WILL says to himself "New Directions!"
IN school HALLWAY - DAY. MERCEDES JONES walks up to the New Directions sign-up sheet and writes down her name.
IN AUDITORIUM - DAY. MERCEDES is on stage.
MERCEDES says to Will "My name is Mercedes Jones and I'm singing..."
MERCEDES sings Aretha Franklin's "Respect".