Chapter 4: Werewolves are Friendlies

Breakfast had been unusual. It was just the two of them, in a kitchen, where he told her a bit more about the Shadow World, how it was possible for humans to be practically obvious to its existence, and about some runes. He also told her about how he would be merciful about the death of those two Shadowhunters, since she didn't know the truth then. 

To avoid raising suspicion, Ethel didn't pretend to become a mindless follower at that moment. Instead, she questioned him, and stated that she couldn't be sure if he was being honest. In turn, he offered to take her to see the effect of Downworlders on humans in person. She understood that meant leaving the ship, so, she agreed, but maintained her sceptic façade. 

After that, she witnessed something unusual. As it turned out, she wasn't the only person on this ship trying to escape (other than the caged Downworlders, of course). There was a blonde. His name was Jace, and apparently he was Valentine's son. Speaking of, the cult leader had Jace tested for his loyalty. She witnessed how he stabbed two fake Valentines while dragging the real one around. However, that's because he didn't know that the redhead woman, 'Clary', was the true Valentine. And for that, he was caged, as he failed the test. She also noticed that he was the only Shadowhunter that wasn't carrying a red, Circle rune around his neck- other than the fake redhead. 

Ethel deduced that he had been in the Clave until being brought to the ship. So, while she learnt how to use one of their lightsabers, or seraph blades, as they called them, Ethel thought about considering him an ally. On the other hand, she also realized that Valentine was no fool, and she'd have to be smart to not get caught. 

Now, she had gone through a portal, and was presumably in the streets of New York. "This werewolf is called Justine." Valentine began telling her, as they were reaching the woman's apartment. "Anger turns them into rabid wolves with greater strength and speed. Most humans don't survive their attacks, and some that do are cursed, as the infection is transmitted by scratches and bites." Before their arrival, he had informed Ethel on the dangers of each Downworlder species, as well as what their Kryptonites were. Not that he used that word. Any mention on human pop culture always went unnoticed by him. 

The duo ventured into the apartment building, alongside three other Shadowhunters. Ethel knew what the woman that they were looking for looked like. This Justine was mixed race, but her Chinese and Indian features were more prominent than her White ones. She had warm beige skin, almond shaped brown eyes, and raven straight hair. In her picture she seemed kind, normal, and beautiful. But yet, she was being told that this woman, living on the third storey of an apartment building in Brooklyn, was nothing but an abomination. That didn't seem right. 

So, when they split up to cover more ground, Ethel silently prayed to this angel Raziel. She pleaded for the woman to not be in their location. Instead, she'd bump into her in the bedroom. Hearing the footsteps in the room beside her, Ethel simply rose a single finger to her lips, and shot the woman urgent eyes. The werewolf saw a rune and the seraph blade, instantly knowing this had to be a a Shadowhunter. However, due to the lack of Circle rune, Justine wasn't as alarmed as she should be. Ethel had to make sure she didn't relax. So, she whispered to her the situation. "There are Circle guys on your apartment. Leave out the window quietly, run, and don't get followed." She continued to hear footsteps near by while instructing the werewolf to escape. Ethel had always had pretty good hearing and she was using that to her advantage. 

So, the woman left out the window, and through the fire escape. All the while Ethel left the room, pretending to not have found anything. Eventually, the Walters girl ended up outside, and found something disappointing. One of the Shadowhunters had captured Justine. "Hey, look. I've got her. Tell Valentine."