two

When February came around, Jinae began to undoubtedly sulk

When February came around, Jinae began to undoubtedly sulk. It was the time where Ju Haknyeon came into her life, and the time where he left it.

Being friends with Changmin meant meeting new people. And although her year group was full of people she had known for years, she never truly knew any of them.

Sometimes she cursed her best friend for bringing the two together, but she also couldn't help but thank him. "Is this really a good idea?"

"They're just guys," Changmin shrugged. "They don't bite."

Jinae begged to differ. She found it difficult enough to be in the presence of them never mind converse with them.

Only a few of them seemed somewhat interested in her company.

One of which was him.

His eyes glistened ever so slightly when she caught them for a second, throwing her a warm smile. She recognised him from English class, but like most people - she didn't spare them a second glance.

It continued like this. There were days where Changmin begged to hang out with them, whilst there were other days Jinae begged him not to make her sit in the presence of people who would rather she wasn't there. She'd insist she'd rather be alone, which he wouldn't allow.

On the days she sat at their table, she would bury her head in a book like she always did. Background noise didn't phase her. "Hemingway?"

"Huh?" Jinae was in a daze, drawing her eyes from the page. "Oh, yes. Hemingway."

"'There is no friend as loyal as a book'," Haknyeon chuckled, the girl smiling wearily at him. "Do you believe that true?"

"Evidently," she mumbled with a chuckle, her eyes diverting back to the page.

He knew that to be true, too. For if she had only looked up from the pages, she would have always seen his wondering eyes looking back at her.

For now, he would simply smile in her presence and be grateful that occasionally his gaze would be met. Just for now.

Jinae smiled to herself as she closed over the book, satisfied with the ending. The library was quiet too - bliss.

She wandered down the aisles, her eyes skimming every book in passing. She hoped for another Hemingway. "How about 'The End of Something'?"

A voice from before her startled her, glancing up to see kind eyes. "Isn't it rather short?"

"Maybe that's the beauty of it," Haknyeon shrugged, a smile on his lips as he handed it over. "I just finished it. Let me know how you like it."

With that, he began walking backwards, watching as the girl stood in somewhat disbelief.

It was then she began to smile to herself, a strange feeling in her chest as he turned away, her fingers twitching as though they were reaching for him.

What was this feeling?

"I loved it."

The sound of her voice was enough to drag Haknyeon from his studies, closing his textbook instantly. "How did you find me?"

"Oh," Jinae looked around at the empty classroom. "I was passing. Well, I was looking for you, but also happened to be passing."

"Did someone tell you of my secret hangout?" He joked, offering the chair beside him as she sat down.

"It isn't much of a secret," she mumbled, nodding towards the empty door. "But Hemingway, wow. He has such a way with words. I cried a few times."

"Me too," he chuckled, the girl looking in disbelief. He studied her face intently. "You wear that expression a lot."

Jinae resorted to a chuckle, her cheeks flushing as she caught his stare. "You just continue to surprise me, that's all."

Haknyeon smiled, his hand cautiously reaching for hers as he felt her tremble between his fingers.

Her heart fluttered in her chest for the first time in her life, and that was when she knew that Ju Haknyeon would be her first love.

For months they went strong.

They read together, they ate together, they laughed together.

Every time she closed her eyes at night, she would recall their first kiss in the library where she realised that what she felt was really love.

Changmin would groan every time she gushed about his friend, but he was beyond happy for her. He was somewhat proud he had brought them together.

"You're leaving?" Jinae felt her heart shatter in her chest. "But, why?"

"My parents want to be closer to my family," Haknyeon explained, ignoring the droplets of sleet falling upon his head as he stood helplessly at the girls front door. "I'll go to school there. But that doesn't mean forever."

"It means long enough..." the girl tried her best to hold in her tears, as did he.

With a hug and a sad smile, the two said their farewells and he wouldn't be seen again.

At least not for another few years, when he returned in February - just like he left.