IX

Once they had reached the end of the passageway, a great cavern greeted them. "Let me risk a little more light." Gandalf's staff grew a bit brighter. "Behold... the great realm and dwarf city of Dwarrowdelf."

Eadrid stared in awe at the enormous columns that stretched from the floor to the ceiling, great structures artfully chiseled from rock. 

"There's an eye-opener and no mistake." Sam whispered.

They continued walking through the great city for a long time, walking swiftly between the many rows of columns that seemed to stretch for far too long.

Suddenly, Gimli ran to the right after spotting a doorway from which light was flowing out.

"Gimli!" Gandalf called after him, and the fellowship pursued, hearing Gimli's great cries.

They found him kneeling in front of a tomb. "No, no, no!"

Gandalf stepped to the tomb, reading the inscription. "Here lies Balin, son of Fundin, Lord of Moria. He is dead then." Gandalf removed his hat as the rest looked sadly at the mourning Gimli. "It is as I feared."

Eadrid looked around the room, and like most of the mine, there were skeletons of orcs and dwarves alike, and the weapons of fallen dwarves lying about. 

Gandalf picked up a book that was in the hands of a skeleton near the tomb.

"We must move on, we cannot linger." Legolas muttered to Aragorn, and Eadrid nodded in agreement.

"They have taken the Bridge and the second hall. We have barred the gates, but cannot hold them for long. The ground shakes. Drums. Drums in the deep. We cannot get out. A shadow moves in the dark. We cannot get out. They are coming." Eadrid looked around her anxiously, the feeling of pursuement growing in her as they still lingered in the mines longer.

Eadrid jumped at a loud sound that rang throughout the room. They all turned around to see Pippin standing in front of a well, eyes tightly closed as the clanging continued. A skeleton dragged a chain and bucket with it, to which the fellowship could not help but hold their breath.

As the sound finally ceased, they did not risk a breath for few moments.

When it seemed still, Eadrid finally sighed in relief.

Gandalf slammed the book shut. "Fool of a Took! Throw yourself in next time, and rid us of your stupidity!" Gandalf took back his hat and staff and Pippin looked down. Eadrid walked over to Pippin, placing a hand on his shoulder. 

Only a moment after a deep drum was heard. It got louder and faster, seemingly closer and closer.

"Frodo!" Sam gasped, and Frodo unsheathed his sword to find it glowing a bright blue.

"Orcs!"

Boromir quickly ran to the doors, shutting them just as an arrow missed him. "They have a cave troll!" He groaned. 

Legolas and Eadrid began gathering the strewn weapons, tossing them to Boromir and Aragorn to make a blockade from the door. The weapons were stacked on each other for a small amount of a barrier.

When the first hit against the door was struck, the fellowship stood with each other, weapons drawn. 

Eadrid unsheathed her sword, ready to be in a battle once more after so long had passed without one. As the door began to splinter, Legolas and Aragorn fired arrows in the new gap. An orc screeched but was soon forgotten as the rest of the wall came crashing to the ground, orcs pouring into the room.

The fellowship met the orcs, and the small battle begun.

Eadrid had experience fighting orcs, as she often found them on the borders of Rohan, and had to lead her men to drive them out or put an end to them. Orcs were actually quite easy to kill, as they had no great swordsmanship, but often came in larges groups, so it was merely a game of who could withstand the other in endurance.