She'd even schemed with Jonathon's mother, Catherine, whom they were related to by marriage - her stepfather and Catherine were third cousins - to make Caylee and Jonathon an item.

Well, that little plan had backfired. Instead of breaking up Jonathon's relationship with his soon-to-be wife, Bailey, Caylee had instead secured herself a job at Jonathon's personal injury law firm here in Miami, escaping once and for all from all those social engagements and eligible bachelors her mother had pressed upon her. And she'd gotten to dance at Jonathon and Bailey's wedding, and spend some time with his law partners and their families, solidifying the offer from the law firm she was joining.

Even better, she was now free from a situation that had started out awkward and become increasingly uncomfortable over recent months. Now that she was here, in Miami, she was certain she could just put all of that out of her mind, or at least into its proper perspective. Goodbye uneasy feelings and goodbye to the disturbing dreams that had haunted her lately.

Hello Florida sunshine, an exciting job, and a new adventure.

By the time she had walked from her gate down the long corridors and took the escalator to baggage claim, Caylee was struggling to maintain her good mood. As far as she was concerned, the Miami airport was the worst, and she'd flow into a lot of airports, some crazier than others. Here, it just seemed like the walk was endless.

At least she'd managed to travel fairly light, all things considered. Just one large rolling suitcase, her carryon, and an oversize tote that held her laptop, purse, and what was left of the giant water bottle and snacks she'd brought along for the trip.

Bailey had texted that Maria's brother Tito - who was also Bailey's boss - would pick her up, but she didn't know what he looked like, and had neglected to ask what kind of car he'd be driving. Tito hadn't been at Jonathon and Bailey's wedding. Apparently there had been a conference hosted by the ACLU on juvenile justice and something they called the "preschool to prison pipeline," which made Caylee wonder what the heck that meant. She knew he and Bailey worked with juvenile offenders, but surely not kids who weren't even in kindergarten yet? Anyway, Tito was now part of some task force planning lobbying efforts in state legislatures, so she supposed he got a pass on missing the wedding.

She pulled out her phone to text Bailey, then remembered the whole reason Bailey wasn't meeting her now was because she was speaking at some lunch meeting. Caylee slipped her phone back into her pocket and looked around.

Unfortunately there was no one waving a sign with her name on it from a car window. Maybe she'd give Maria a call. After all, Tito was her brother.

Just as she was about to a van pulled up to the curb, so close she took an involuntary step back. The driver got out and came around the car. He was wearing a white t-shirt, that showed off the tattoos on his arms, and twill chinos. He looked lean and muscled and slightly dangerous, with wavy black hair and a look in his eyes that might be arrogance or maybe annoyance.

"Caylee?" he asked, looking her over in a way that made her feel vaguely self-conscious.

"Yes, and you must be-"

But he was already walking past her, opening the rear of the van. "That all you've got?" he asked, gesturing to her single wheeled suitcase and carryon. She was carrying the tote.

When she nodded, he hefted her luggage into the back of the van and closed it, jerking his head toward the front passenger door.

"Get in."

Ok, that was bordering on rude. Was this guy even Tito? A little shiver of apprehension went through her but she dismissed it as ridiculous. Having her abducted from an airport in Florida wouldn't be-

He cut her off before she could complete the thought.

"Is there a problem?"

Caylee turned to face the man who had now walked around her and was holding the passenger door open on the van.

She steeled her look. She might not have been in a courtroom yet, but she'd been practicing in the mirror how to stare down hostile witnesses.

Unfortunately, it didn't have the desired effect. Instead of cowing under her gaze, his lips twitched slightly. If there was one thing Caylee would not tolerate, it was being laughed at.

"No," she said, her voice ripe with sarcasm. "Why would there be a problem when a man I've never seen before screeches to the curb in a dark van and almost runs me down, asks my name but doesn't bother to tell me his, and demands that I get in the van." She glanced around him through the open door. "Sorry, just checking for duct tape."

He stared at her, that smile still hovering at the corners of his mouth.

"Jack said you're a handful."

"A what?" Of all the ridiculous, sexist things to say, Caylee thought, while noting that if he referred to her sort of cousin Jonathon as "Jack" he obviously knew him pretty well.

"I'm Tito Martinez," he said, reaching out a hand. She reluctantly put her hand in his and felt her eyes widen at the little jolt that went through her when his larger hand closed around hers. His grip felt strong and slightly calloused, although she thought he worked in an office all day. He held her hand for a second too long, and she looked into his eyes, trying to figure out if he'd had the same instant reaction she did. But she couldn't tell.

Caylee pulled her hand away. "Ok, then," she said, and climbed into the van.

Tito closed the door for her, then walked around and got into the driver's seat. She looked at his arm, studying the different tattoos that made up what looked like he was going for a complete sleeve. Some were more elaborate than others. One was a heart and she could see text in it - maybe a name? But she couldn't make it out without leaning closer and staring.

He glanced sideways at there as they pulled out into traffic. "My tattoos make you nervous."

"They certainly do not," she said, indignant. "I was just admiring your ink."

"Sure you were."

"Hey. I have tattoos." She held out her arm, showing him the butterfly on the inside of her wrist. "I got this when I was 16. One of my small acts of rebellion."

"Nice," he said, and she wasn't sure if he meant it or was laughing at her.

"That's not the only one I have."

Tito slowed to stop at a red light and shifted to face her. "So show me."

"You wouldn't be able to see them unless I knew you a whole lot better," Caylee told him, and felt a little shiver run through her at the thought of those strong slightly rough hands slipping under her clothes, undressing her, revealing the tattoos her clothes normally concealed.

"We'll work on that," Tito said, then turned back to the road as the light turned green. 

Author's Note:  Welcome to Book #4 in the Miami Lawyers series, and thank you for reading! 

What do you think of Tito and Caylee's first meeting? 

Is there something else behind Caylee's move to Miami?