You're The Kind Of Reckless That Should Send Me Running

Lily Germaine was avoiding looking at the TV

"Guys come on don't get discouraged that's why we watch game tapes. To get better." Mom said.

"I never should have came out of my basement." Koob said. "I mean I was safe there with my chair and cup holders."

"Its like a master class. In sucking." Nick added.

Lily buried her heads in her arms, and I saw Peter wince as he saw himself get flipped over.

"Come on! Guys, guys, no judgement. Okay, just positive constructive feedback." Alex said. "Oh, nice shot other team."

"I'm positive we suck." Peter said.

"Why isn't anyone eating nachos and hot coco." Bombay asked.

"We would. But we don't know where Winnie is." Sam told him.

"She's supposed to be behind the counter."

"Well, clearly she's not." Jesse snapped.

Bombay looked over at him, and he stopped dead in his tracks, staring at the Hall boy. He shook his head after a minute, and started talking about how the coco turned the lights on, or something like that.

I watched the tape with a wince as Jesse got flipped over one boy, and then checked into the boards right after.

"There she is." Lauren cut in.

We all looked over and saw her talking to Coco Chad.

"It looks like she's with Coco Chad."

"Coco Chad?" Bombay repeated.

"He delivers the Coco mix. They've been going out for two months." Nick said.

"She does not look happy." Koob added.

"He's giving her a bunch of stuff back." Maya said. "I think they're breaking up."

"That's so harsh." Logan spoke.

"How many Yoga mats did she leave at his place?" Peter asked.

"How can anyone break up with her?" Nick asked. "She's amazing."

"You know what would be really amazing? If she multi-tasked. Be sad and make hot coco." Bombay said, walking away.

I heard Lily snort, and I turned to give her a smile. Mine faltered, though, when I saw she was already smiling at Logan.

{}~{}~{}~{}

Lily Germaine was pretty with her hockey braids.

She always dutch braided her hair when we played, and she looked beautiful when you could see her whole face.

"Alright here we go. Ice practice." Mom said.

"Its just called practice." I said.

"On the ice, just being clear." Mom told us.

Lily leaned over and whispered in my ear, "See. She knows why she's doing."

I turned and saw everyone else messing around, and falling over.

"Yeah, but they don't."

A Zamboni came onto the ice during practice, making me clench my jaw, and skate away.

{}~{}~{}~{}

Lily Germaine had invited me and Jesse over.

We arrived to the Germaine house, and we walked in.

"Mom! Dad!" Lily called. "I brought friends!"

Allison appeared around the corner, and she smiled. She looked at Jesse, and she froze. Her smile slipped for a minute, before it plastered back on.

"Hi." She smiled. "I'm Allison Germaine."

"It's nice to see you again, ma'am." I greeted

"It's nice to meet you." Jesse said. "I'm, uh, Jesse Hall II."

I heard footsteps freeze, and we looked over and saw Mr Germaine standing there, his face white.

"Dad, are you okay?" Lily asked, stepping towards her Dad. "You look—you look sick."

Mr Germaine just stared at Jesse, who was frozen in confusion.

"Sir?"

"Guy." Allison called, softly. "It's okay."

Guy finally started moving again, and stuck his hand out. "I...I'm sorry. You...you just look so much like him."

Jesse loosened a bit. "You knew my Uncle?"

Guy nodded. "He...he was my best friend. We...we were like brothers."

Jesse was silent. "Did-Did you know my Dad too?"

"Terry?" Guy asked. "Yeah. He was like my little brother. I...I haven't seen him since pee-wees though."

Allison grabbed Guy's hand, and said, "You kids go have fun. I need to talk to your Dad, Lily. You all can stay for dinner. I'll call you, and Peter when it's ready."

We all nodded, and I watched in confusion as Guy walked away, his hands shaking at his side.

{}~{}~{}~{}

Lily Germaine looked nervous.

She finished lacing her skates up, and stood up, and we all headed to the bench.

Lily took the face off, and won, but Trevor flipped her over. She landed on her back, and Jesse helped her up, and they tried to tag team Sofi, but by the time they reached her, she was scoring.

I subbed in for Jesse, but it was pretty much useless. Goal, after goal, after goal, the Ducks scored, and checked us. Mom called us over to the box, and started showing us a play that had apparently written itself.

"Evan, Lily, you two are are the key players in this."

I took the face off and passed it to Koob. Logan pretended to fall on it as the Ducks, Lauren and Maya pretended to also go for it. Koob gave it to me, and I skated off. Sam threw himself down tripping other players.

I passed the puck to Lily, and Sofi caught up to me. Lily skated as fast as she could, before making a fake shot, sliding the puck back to me with her skate as she did so. I stopped it, and spun and scored.

Lily and I cheered, throwing our hands up. We high-fived, and I groaned as I felt two of the Ducks bashed into us.

"Hey, 5 minutes for Un-Sportsmen like conduct." The ref said.

"The games over." I groaned.

"Okay, then next game." He said. "Remind me."

I pulled myself up, and then helped Lily up as well. "Are you okay?"

She nodded, and we skated up the box. Lily tapped me with her padded hand, and pointed at Nick, who was watching Winnie talk to another guy.

"If Mustered Tim can get a girl like that, then maybe there's hope for me." Nick said.

Lily and I shared a look, confusion filling us. Logan came up and was about to squirt water on Mom, but she stopped him. I looked to the other side, and saw Sofi skate up.

"I can't be a Duck anymore. I'm in." She said.

Lily and I smiled at each other, and we cheered excitedly. Logan unscrewed his bottle and dumped his drink on Mom's head.

"Its so cold." She squealed.