thirty - exit stage left .

"Good news for the residents of Outer Banks," a far too chipper radio show host announced, "Dominion Power says their underwater transmission line, which will restore power to 90% of the area should be functional in 24 hours

"Good news for the residents of Outer Banks," a far too chipper radio show host announced, "Dominion Power says their underwater transmission line, which will restore power to 90% of the area should be functional in 24 hours."

A whooping siren caused Rylee's eyes to pop open where she was curled up in the passenger seat, sitting up just a little to watch a police cruiser fly by. The sun had risen, but it was still early. Her body ached from the uncomfortable position she had assumed almost all night, and her head was pounding from the lack of food or sleep.

After leaving the police station, the Pogues had scoured the island for a safe place to hide. All of their homes were obviously out of the question, as was any location they might frequent, like jobs or the school or friends' houses. Finally, they had stumbled upon an abandoned shed with a car port near the Crain property, and had decided it was as inconspicuous as they were going to get. There hadn't been any ferries leaving the island that night, so they had no choice but to hide and bide their time. Though they'd all taken turns being on watch and trying to sleep when it wasn't their turn, it didn't feel like any of them had managed to get any sleep at all.

A second cruiser sped by, their position again going completely unnoticed.

"And still, no arrest in the shooting death of Sheriff Susan Peterkin," the host continued, "The state police have issued a statement regarding a local person of interest, a juvenile from --"

Kiara reached forward and slammed her hand on the radio's off button, and silence filled the car instead.

"Let's game this out," JJ suggested once it was obvious that everyone was awake, "Maybe you guys can help, being the smart ones and all," He continued, gesturing between Pope and Rylee, "So, who are the cops going to believe?" He posed the question as if it were serious, though they all knew the answer, "Ward Cameron, or us?"

"JJ ..."

"No listen, the accuser is a big shot developer, kinda lord of the island, got the governor on speed dial kind of person, and the accused ... Is John B, who is ... Pretty much a homeless 16 year old boy at the moment."