Chapter 20: New Assignment

Start from the beginning

Funny enough, I did not remember trying to identify the voice. Swallowing, I realized this conversation wasn't going to make me sound any saner. "I don't remember," my voice was low and quiet. "I was scared."

Director Fury narrowed his eye and the redness in my gaze grew. "Well, interesting. So, did you see the intruder at all?"

My cheeks burnt and I averted my eyes.

"No."

They were silent. The room was thickened with tension and doubts. Lowering his head, Fury paid no effort in suppressing his sigh. "Okay," he concluded and straightened up. Rubbing his hands together, Fury glanced around the room. "We will just keep an eye on the security. Meanwhile, shall we return to our original agenda for the meeting?"

A Shield agent entered the room and muttered to Fury. I peered around myself and was glad to see that no one was staring at me, like I was some sort of animals.

I was surprised when Bucky stood from his chair deliberately to join me at the side of the table. Fury's eye darted to us, so did some of the others who were not engaged in conversations.

"Are you okay?" Bucky quizzed and his blue eyes softened on me.

For numerous occasions I thought there was something different in the way he looked at me, but I dared not to jump to conclusion. Disappointment was usually the outcome of such situation.

Nodding, I smiled tiredly at Bucky and leaned towards him slightly as we both waited for Fury to finish giving out instructions to the Shield agent.

Finally taking a seat, Fury pulled out a file and pushed it towards us. We waited as the man took a good look around the Avengers' faces.

"Ever since the Winter Soldier incident, we have been trying to wipe out Hydra's existence," Fury paused and glanced at Natasha darkly. They both exchanged a look. "We all know this is quite impossible, but we try our best."

"They are dangerous," Bruce commented, his fingers trailing the metal frame of his glasses thoughtfully. "They remain as a threat to our team as well as everybody living on this planet."

Fury showed his solemn acknowledgement by tapping on the file earnestly. "Which is why we are working on this."

"What's this about?" Clint questioned. He leaned forwards and placed his elbows on the table, his muscles flexed as his eyebrows ceased.

I couldn't help but felt like Natasha knew something about this. Even though she had her best poker face on, she constantly flickered her gaze onto the table and swallowed in reticence.

"After years of researched, these are locations that we suspected are Hydra's bases. Not the main one, but shelters for agents or even prisoners. We are still trying to dig up more."

Steve picked up the file and flipped it open, revealing the first page of a map traced with red dots. I then realized it was a map of New York with a dark scowl. "This is going to be our first mission in the operation. Steve, I want you to go check out this base," Fury drifted his gaze on me. Oh no. "And Charlotte, I want you to go with Steve."

I stared and found myself nodding shortly. I didn't understand why Director Fury would trust me enough to assign me with this mission. "You and Steve will go in and find out whatever's useful." Steve handed me the file and I quickly scanned through it. "You two will report back immediately and I will then tell you the next step."

Bucky's face dimmed in dismay, while Steve shifted uncomfortably. "Are you sure Charlotte's the best choice right now? She is still in the process of settling down."

Fury raised an eyebrow at me and I gulped. "I don't mind," I remarked and hoped for the best. Fury pushed away from the table and gestured towards me.

"That's done then. Good job everybody. You may be dismissed."

Once the Director was out of the room, Clint groaned and ran a hand through his hair. "Man, we can't even get through a day quietly," He whined. Natasha placed her chin on one of her hand and smirked.

Bruce rubbed his face in obvious exhaustion, "Agreed."

Steve bumped his shoulder against mine and glanced down at me worriedly, "Are you sure you're alright with this?"

I tried a grin and failed miserably. Turning over a page, I continued to read the information on the list. "This assignment is a Level 2," Natasha chimed in, "It's a No-Doubt and Follow-the-Instruction, Lottie."

Besides me, Bucky shook his head in annoyance. "I don't think you should go," he muttered. "It sounds dangerous."

I tilted my head up slightly so that I could look at him. His dark hair was loosely pulled back into a ponytail. His black top stood out cruelly under his silver army tag. "I will be fine, Bucky. I can take care of myself."

From across us, Clint snorted and Bruce sighed, "Tony will have a long speech about this. Fury better prepare himself."

-------------------------------------

Hi guys! I'm sorry I haven't updated in two days. I have only recently moved into a new boarding house and I'm on my study leave too:/ There are loads of revisions going on but I haven't forgotten about you guys so here is an extra long chapter for y'all daisies:) Remember, vote if you like it and comment to tell me what you think:)

-Rivers