It made a solid noise when it hit, and soon, Sarah was coming over to her window to investigate.

Alex waved frantically, her own tears long forgotten when she caught sight of her best friend's damp cheeks.

Sarah's face lit up when she saw her, and she held up a finger, motioning for Alex to wait before disappearing from view.

When she returned, she had a notebook in hand. Alex watched as she scribbled on the paper and then held the message against the glass for Alex to read.

I'M LOCKED IN

Her brows pinching together with confusion, Alex mouthed back, "Why?"

Before Sarah could answer, she was interrupted by the sound of tires rolling against the driveway. Alex quickly dove behind the grill, making sure she was completely tucked out of sight.

She leaned forward until she could see the approaching vehicle through a crevice, without being seen herself.

Rafe's motorcycle stalled in front of the house, and he pulled off his helmet and shook out his hair. Alex heard him huff frustratedly before getting off and walking up to the house. She felt a pang of guilt spark in her chest, for running away from him like that at Barry's, but she didn't let the feeling linger, focusing in on the voices she hears start talking.

"Where have you been?" Ward.

Alex looks up at Sarah and then points towards the front of the house, silently informing her that's where she headed. She's so eager to leave, that she misses Sarah desperately shaking her head to try and stop her.

"You don't care." Rafe scoffed, his voice clearer now that Alex was closer. She kept herself pressed hard against the side of the house, balancing not being seen and being close enough to listen in on their conversation.

A pause, then Ward says, "I need you to stay close by today alright?"

"Yeah? Why?"

"I told you that I was taking John B out fishing, right?"

"Yeah?"

"Well, he attacked me. With a spear gun on the Druther's."

Alex felt her stomach hit the ground.

"Shit, what?"

"He was drinking, and throwing accusations at me, like I had stolen money and that I was the one who killed Big John, I mean," Ward scoffs. "Absolutely ridiculous claims. Then, he found the gun and fired it at me. He grazed my arm but I managed to get away."

Rafe hissed, which made Alex think that his father was showing him a wound of some kind. Her ears were ringing, and her skin felt cold to the touch.

That didn't sound like something that John b would do. Attack Ward Cameron, the father of his girlfriend and legal guardian because he was drunk? No way.

On the other hand, Alex knew, from that first night at the Boneyard, that John B's father was a sensitive topic for him, as expected, but he had literally gotten into a fight with Topper about it. If he had heard or seen something suggesting that Ward had something to do with it, maybe it messed with his head and he acted out violently.

That explains why Sarah was in her room, she was probably really upset about hearing all of this. But why had she been locked in?

Alex's mind raced as she tried to sort out the truth, but it was all too muddy. She needed to find John B, and hear his side of the story.

But first, she needed a pit stop to solve another mystery.