Chapter 3 - How About a Divorce

Later, when the Duke and his wife went to the east to see the spring, Liu Yu and I just wanted to leave this sorrowful place as soon as possible.

"Yueyue!"

When I heard someone calling my name, Ninth Princess appeared from the steps, panting and laughing. "I finally found you. I was about to suffocate in the palace."

"Did His Majesty allow you to come out?" I asked.

Ninth Princess nodded and said, "I said I wanted to see you, so he sent some people to follow me, and I was able to leave the palace."

Jingting must have known about our visit to pray for offspring today.

Ninth Princess didn't notice my bad complexion and continued to chatter, "Since I'm here, I also want to pray for a good marriage. After all, His Majesty said that if I don't have a lover, he'll find one for me. But I don't want him to find one for me. If his marriage doesn't go smoothly, why would he be able to find one for me?"

I wished I could cover the Ninth Princess's little mouth and say, "Stop talking. When did His Majesty's marriage not go smoothly? You're talking nonsense."

Ninth Princess let out a shallow sigh, but her thoughts quickly turned to other things. "Oh, by the way, in three days, it's the tradition for the children of aristocratic families to come out and compete in archery and arrow-throwing. Will you accompany me? You and Young Master Liu are newlyweds, and you should come together."

I turned to Liu Yu and said, "Ninth Princess wants you to watch the show with her."

Ninth Princess agreed, "Yes, the prizes this year are very good."

But Liu Yu seemed to still be immersed in the sadness of coming out with me to pray for offspring and didn't seem to hear what we were saying.

"He would go," I said to Ninth Princess.

After Nine Princess left, I thought Jinging knew about the matter of praying for a child and would invite me to the palace due to his displeasure, but there was no news for three days.

However, when I went to the appointment with Liu Yu, the emperor's carriage suddenly appeared in a conspicuous position on the scene.

Regardless, I had to go and visit him, otherwise it would be disrespectful.

Liu Yu's pace became faster, and we walked one after the other.

When Jinging's figure became clear in our sight, someone suddenly stopped me and Liu Yu.

"Aren't you the son and daughter-in-law of Duke Liu? I couldn't come to congratulate you in person earlier, so I wish you both a happy marriage and many children today," the person said.

Liu Yu's expression was a bit stiff.

I was also uncomfortable.

This voice seemed to be afraid that Jinging couldn't hear it.

I don't know what Jinging would think. It's like the congratulatory person couldn't figure out why one looked like a husband who had lost his wife and the other looked like a wife who had lost her husband.

When Liu Yu and I finally stood in front of Jinging, Liu Yu's head hung low, and I dared not look into his eyes.

"Dispense with formalities," Jinging said in a cold voice.

"Brother, you look very elegant today," I took the initiative to talk to Jinging.

Jinging glanced at me, then smiled slightly after a moment.

It should be...okay? I think.

Jinging raised his eyes and glanced at the sky, then looked at Liu Yu and said, "The weather is good today. How about a divorce for you two?"

Stunned, Liuyu stepped forward to help Jingting pour his wine and said, feigning ease, "Your Majesty hasn't even drunk yet, let alone become drunk. How can you joke around with me?"

When the cup was filled, I continued, "Liuyu, Your Majesty hasn't seen you on stage for a long time, that's why he's joking to push you to win the prize. Just go and join the contest."

Liuyu hastily said to Jingting, "I'll go now, Your Majesty."

When only Jingting and I were left at the table, he lowered his head and looked at the wine cup. He seemed to want to pick it up with his fingers, but in the next moment, he exerted a slight force and pressed the cup down, causing the wine to drip onto his robe.

With many people around, I couldn't help him wipe it off, so I handed him a handkerchief.

After taking it, Jingting hastily wiped it a few times but didn't return the handkerchief to me.

He finally spoke, "Did I ask you to speak for him just now?"

I kept peeking at Jingting's expression and replied, "He just can not give you an answer."

"Sure, you go ahead and answer."

I was confused, "A divorce? Should I tell the empress dowager that the food at Duke Mansion is too hard for me or that I don't like the garden as much as the one in the palace?"