Chapter 5

Ahsoka stared at the lop of grey goo that was sitting on her plate. One of her creche mates tried explaining it to her at one point. Apparently this grey abomination held all the required nutrients any human life-form would ever need. With war being (mostly-consistent) of humans, it made sense for the Republic to use such food. It obviously saved money because no one save someone on the brink of starvation would ever want to consume such filth.

Her lips curled at the supposed food. The worst part about it was that this food was meant for humans. She was a togruta. While it did fulfil most of her dietary needs, it didn't fulfil all of them, which meant she got to have 3 pills every day along with mushy goop.

Master Krell got his own food, specifically for his own species. It looked lovely. Every time she even caught a whiff of it, she would almost tear up. It just smelt so good. But of course, they never had enough supplies to call for special food for her, leaving her with her pills.

She almost cried.

Looking up from her plate, she took stock of what was happening in the mess hall.

Right now, they were in one of those weird time stops where her and the clones would be in the mess hall at the same time. This lasted for about 10 minutes before she had to leave to continue on with her commander duties. This was really the only time where she would be in their company.

Her and the captain met the most throughout the days, but even then, she wouldn't say that they were closer than she was with any other clone here. She had learned long ago that building friendships in war would only lead to suffering.

She didn't try to have relationships with clones. She didn't want to.

"Commander!" A chipper voice called out. "Would you mind if I sat with you today? The rest of the tables are filled out."

Looking up she was met with him.

Her eyes narrowed.

All around her were open seats. All around her eyes of stupefied clones stared at the pair.

"Yes..." She answered slowly.

He grinned and quickly sat his plate down before sliding into the chair across from her. Picking up his utensils, he quickly got to work on his food, scarfing down the substance with vigor. She stared at him. In part because of his ability to not gag on the food, and also in part to figure out what the hell he was doing sitting with her.

This clone, for some reason, always found his way into her secluded life. He often barged in, but nevertheless, he didn't seem to mind her.

She had recognized this clone. He was the one who used to always smile at her. Then he was the one who got her in trouble with her Master when she had accidentally fallen asleep, and almost gotten him killed. He was also the one in the small group who had found her in her mist of a panic attack and helped her.

Was he spying on her again? Was he reporting to Krell on her eating habits or something? She wouldn't put it past either of them at this point.

He suddenly stopped mind-bite, and looked at her, catching her eyes still on him.

"Are you not hungry, Commander?" He asked, looking back at her.

She was pulled out of her thoughts, still feeling uneasy with his...whatever this was.

"No." Was all she said.

He smiled again, and began eating.

She looked at him for a few more minutes, but either he made an effort to ignore her, or he didn't mind.