VI

The next few days were spent in preparation for the long journey, though none of them knew just how long it would be. Eadrid spent some time taking baths and enjoying clean clothes, two things she had to savor in her old everyday life too as Captain, as she was constantly surrounded by a company of men that were not always so clean. However kind they were to her, it did not make up for their uncleanliness. 

She also spent time enjoying the peacefulness of Rivendell, not knowing either this would be her last time to truly enjoy walking through the paths of the elves. 

As she was saying her goodbyes in her mind, walking past the library full of books she had never yet gotten to read, she heard the familiar shank of an arrow burying itself into its target. She turned a corner and saw Aragorn in a grass area surrounded by trees with his bow, a target ahead of him. He nocked another arrow, and it landed with another thud into the center of the target, where he had finished making a small circle with each arrow. 

"Impressive." Eadrid said, walking down the path as he turned.

He held out his bow and Eadrid shook her head. 

"No, you should keep it. I am afraid I am not much good with a bow."

"I am sure you are more than capable." He smiled as he said it, still holding out the bow. 

Eadrid rolled her eyes and took it from him and took an arrow from his quiver that laid on the ground. She took a deep breath as she nocked the arrow, holding up the bow and pulling back the string. She could feel Aragorn's stare, and her arm dropped. 

"What?" He asked as she narrowed her eyes towards him.

"I cannot concentrate with you looking at me like that."

He held up his hands with a wry smile and stood near her side, out of her eyesight, but not taking his eyes off her. Eadrid pulled back the bow again and released, cursing as the arrow landed in the second ring. 

"I told you, I am not good with a bow." Eadrid sighed and faced Aragorn, reaching to give the bow back to him.

He did not take it from her but began to move her to put her back in place to try again. "It could be your aim-" 

"My aim?" Eadrid took the small dagger she kept in her boot, throwing it at the target in one swift motion. She smiled to herself, satisfied, as it sunk in the direct center of the circle Aragorn had created with his arrows. Aragorn smiled and shook his head. "It is not my aim, it is the bow that is my bane."

Aragorn laughed but did not give up. After grabbing the arrows and dagger from the target, he came back to stand behind Eadrid, reaching around her. He stopped before touching her, waiting until Eadrid nodded. Aragorn stepped in, his hands reaching around hers, as he gently placed them on the bow. Their hands moved together, and he pulled Eadrid's hand back with his, arrow in place. As he did so, Eadrid unintentionally leaned into him, her back pressed against his chest. She could feel his steady heartbeat as he leaned over her shoulder. "Be calm." He said softly into her ear. She couldn't tell if he had said so because he could feel her quickly beating heart or her stiffened arms, but it only made her heart beat faster. "And...release." Their hands let go of the arrow and Eadrid watched it sink into the center of the target. Neither of them moved from their spots, and Eadrid's heartbeat slowly began to level with his. 

A cool breeze rustled through the trees and hit Eadrid, and she suddenly realized how close they stood. She quickly stepped forward and turned around to face Aragorn, and the bow fumbled from their hands. They both crouched to the ground and once again their hands met at the hilt of the bow, but Eadrid jerked back her hand and quickly stood up. She watched as Aragorn stood up slowly, keeping his eyes on her. She wondered how he was always so calm and steady, never unwavering like she felt now. 

They stood there for a moment, observing each other. Eadrid, to Aragorn, was not like anything he had any sort of familiarity with before. Through the thick walls she had built around herself he could see light seeping through the cracks. She emanated a certain strength but had an underlying layer of softness and attentiveness that he wanted to know. She was nothing now like the woman he had met years ago, and he knew the feeling she made him endure he could never surrender. 

He briskly turned away from her and headed on the path away from Eadrid. She was left there as he turned the corner, staring at where she could last see him.