Chapter 4 "Start a New"

Start from the beginning

"Yes! Of course, I want to move in with you! I love you!" I responded as we kissed each other.

After I did my time in the hospital, we went to Eddie's house. On the way to his house, I called a moving truck to come and move my things to Eddie's place, which we agreed should come in about a week. Chris jumped for joy once he heard that I was moving in, and at this moment everything felt perfect. The rest of the team had a shift that day when I was in the hospital still so they weren't able to come and visit me, but we did tell them the news about me moving in, and they seemed very happy for us. While I was around 7 days into my recovery the moving truck moved everything that I wanted from my house into Eddies. Then after the full 10 days of recovery at home, I was able to return to the firehouse.

"Welcome back Buck!" Bobby shouted from across the room as Eddie and I walked into the station.

"Hey, cap! Good to be back!" I responded happily.

"Maybe this time you can try not to get hit by a ceiling beam?" Hen put a hand on my shoulder and laughed.

"Yeah, and while you're at it, maybe try not to get injured at all?" Chim added on and put his hand on my other shoulder.

"Good to see you guys too" I retorted and shook their hands off my shoulders. The rest of the shift was pretty uneventful. As soon as we got back to Eddie's house we decided to watch a movie and cuddle before we had to pick up Chris from school.

When we were halfway into the movie, Eddie asked, "Hey so you know how Chris has been wanting a dog for a while now?"

"Oh yeah! Why? OOH, Are you thinking of getting one?!" I asked him excitedly. "You know it would be good for all of us. Dogs increase oxytocin levels in people, making us feel calmer and more relaxed. Which is very good for anxiety."

"I love your random facts, and yeah I was thinking that maybe a dog would be a good idea." Eddie grinned. "We have all been stressed recently, so maybe getting a dog is the perfect way to help us all." He finished his sentence and put his arm around my shoulder.

I sink into Eddie's warm arm. "I think that's a great idea! Should we tell him when we pick him up?" I asked.

"Yeah, and if your free we could just go straight to the animal shelter to look around?" Eddie smiled and looked at me with excitement.

I get up from his warm grasp and run to the counter where the keys are. "What are you waiting for slowpoke? Let's go!" I said and grabbed the car keys which made a jingling sound as I ran with them to the door.

"Hey wait up!!" Eddie screamed to me while he turned the TV off, got all the papers we would need for the adoption, closed the door, and ran after me. When Eddie finally got to the car he opened the driver's side door, sat down, and looked at me playfully while panting. "Next time you do that I'm gonna buy your favorite ice cream and then eat it all right in your face."

I put my hands up and surrendered, "Totally not fair! I was just excited!"

Eddie looked at me and started the car, careful to not look away. "Ok well until you calm down I'm keeping my eyes on you, I can't trust you when you're happy like this," he laughed.

I laughed with him and the rest of our conversation while we drove to Chris's school was filled with laughter and excitement.

We got to Chris's school and Eddie went into the school to get Chris. When he and Chris returned to the car Chris could already tell that something was going on from the look on our faces. "Hey, Bucky! Hey Dad! What's going on? Why are you guys looking happier than usual?"

Eddie and I turned to each other with eyes of joy and then we both turned back to look at the younger Diaz in the back seat. "Well," Eddie said playfully. "Bucky and I got a great surprise for you!"

"Really?? What's the surprise! I wanna know!!" Chris shouted and threw his hands up in the air.

"You'll have to put this on and wait to see!" I responded and gave Chris a blindfold.

"Fine, fine I can wait." Chris grinned his usual happy grin and put the blindfold over his eyes.

The whole way to the animal shelter the only thing Eddie or I could hear was Chris's excited laughs and questions about where we were taking him. When we parked the car outside the animal shelter Chris's laughs got even louder because he knew we were at the surprise location.

Eddie and I got out of the car first and helped Chris out of the car, careful to keep his blindfold on. He laughed louder and louder as we walked to the front of the shelter and as soon as we were at the door we took his blindfold off.

"An animal shelter?" Chris questioned before he seemed to understand. "Oh and animal shelter! ARE WE GETTING A DOGGY??" Chris screamed happily and waved his crutches around at the thought of getting a dog.

Eddie and I held on to Chris to make sure he didn't fall over. "That's right buddy! You happy?" Eddie questioned Chris.

"Happy? I'm more than happy!! Let's go Bucky and Dad!" Chris grabbed both of our shirts and pulled us inside. Eddie and I laughed at his antics as we followed him in against our will.

When we got to the front desk the lady that worked there looked at us with amusement. She told us to follow her to the room with all the dogs and introduced us to a bunch of them. There were small dogs, big dogs, medium dogs, and one especially giant dog. Along the way, we all saw a medium-sized, black dog, with curly hair, brown eyes, and a huge white spot on its chest. As soon as I saw it I immediately fell in love, and by the look on Eddie and Chris's faces, they thought the same.

"That one is so cute!! What's their name?" Chris asked the lady excitedly.

"Oh her? Thats Charlie! She's 2 years old, and a goldendoodle which is a mix of a golden retriever and a poodle," She continued, "They are also the perfect first dog for anyone especially children because of their friendly and playful tendencies, and the fact that they don't shed any more than a human does," the lady informed us.

"Wow that sounds perfect for our family," Eddie remarked. "Buck, Chris, what do you think?"

Chris walked over to the cage and put his finger in it. The dog curiously pranced over to Chris, sniffed, and licked his finger. "I love her so much!! Buck, Dad, can we please get her?" Chris asked, already attached to the dog.

I walked over to Chris and put my finger in the cage as well. "Well, I can't say no to both of your adorable faces!"

"Aww, your too sweet Buck" Eddie looked at me and smiled.

"Sorry to ruin your ego Eds but I was talking to Chris and Charlie, your 4th place! After me of course!" I looked at Eddie with a playful grin.

"Wow, that hurt! I think I need stitches for my heart!" Eddie dramatically put his hand over the left side of his body and gave off a hurt expression.

"Yeah yeah, anyways she's perfect!" I tell the lady and Eddie and Chris agree.

The lady looked back at us amused again and brought us and Charlie to a playpen area with lots of grass to play with the dog to make sure she was the right fit. After a few minutes with her, we all grew even more attached to her, so we all made a unanimous decision to officially get the dog. The lady then put the dog on a leash and we gave her everything she needed to confirm the adoption, and she gave us everything we would need to know about the dog. She also told us how much food we should give Charlie, and how much exercise she would need.

Chris pet Charlie and laughed the whole way back to our house. We stopped at the pet store on the way to get food, toys, a cage, a harness, and leashes. When we got back home, Charlie looked very nervous and scared. But as soon as Chris sat down with Charlie she immediately looked less overwhelmed and after a minute or so, she put her head on Chris's leg.

At that exact moment, I knew that we made the right decision, and Eddie knew too based on the way he cooed over how adorable Charlie and Chris were together.

A/N: Alright that's this chapter! I will be making one more chapter after this to wrap everything up, and I'm not promising that it gonna be any time soon but I can promise that I will work on it sometime when I get the chance! Again I am so sorry for how long this took and ill see you in the next chapter! Bye!!!