Encounter

Harry felt like his head would explode after the whole day at work. Lately, there have been increased attacks on wizards who were somehow connected to Death Eaters in the past. It was not yet known who was behind these illegal acts. So far, no one has died, but there have been several severe injuries and many death threats. Harry worked in a team of Aurors who were tasked with gathering information and, at the same time intervening in actual actions. They had no clues, but it was obvious that this must be an organised group; no single person could handle so many attacks in different places.

Harry needed to clear his head, so he decided to walk home along the river, which was a longer but more beautiful route. Part of the path led through the forest park. It was almost dark, and he hardly met anyone. Under normal circumstances, there would be more people here, but you could see they were afraid to walk here now in the dark. Harry wasn't scared, of course. He had excellent training, and he would defend himself. And if not - no one is waiting for him at home anyway, and no one would miss him.

He admonished himself for the thought, as Ron and Hermione would surely miss him. He didn't have a family, and he broke up with Ginny once he realised their relationship was more friendship than love. He didn't quite know what it was like to fall in love, but he was sure it was different from what he felt for Ginny. His adventurous, single life suited him, only sometimes, like right now, he felt a strange longing for something indefinite, as if he wanted to find some meaning in life that had eluded him until now.

Suddenly he heard a child crying. It didn't take long to find a blond boy about four years old crying incessantly, obviously lost to someone. Harry was oddly pleased that there was someone he could help, someone who needed him.

"Hello, I am Harry," he greeted the boy. „What is your name?"

"Scorpius," the boy said.

"Nice name. And what is your surname?"

The boy frowned. "I cannot tell."

"And do you know where you live?"

"I cannot tell either."

"Sure, it's a secret, I understand. Scorpius, where are your parents?"

"My Mommy died, and Daddy fell off the broomstick," sobbed the child.

Harry startled a bit, trying to keep his composure.

"Well, Scorpius, now you're going to help me find your daddy, okay? Show me the place where it happened."

He took the child's hand and started forward with his usual quick step. He soon found out that it wouldn't work like that. The child stumbled after him at first, then he rather dragged him along. It was more convenient to land him on the shoulders.

It was a strange feeling for Harry. Although he sometimes carried the children of his friends Ron and Hermione like this, it was always just for a moment and for fun. The sense of responsibility that overwhelmed him right now was, in many ways, binding, but also warm. Unfortunately, the situation did not develop as he imagined. He couldn't find the child's father, it was already completely dark, and the boy was shivering from the cold and whimpering.

"You know what, I'll show you something," Harry said. "We need help, so we'll call it."

He pulled out his wand and called out in a loud voice, "Expecto patronum!"

Immediately a beautiful silver deer appeared. The boy was intrigued and stopped sobbing.

"My Daddy can create a dragon, but the deer is good too."

Dragon? Harry couldn't think of anyone who had a dragon as their Patronus. His Patronus did a good job, and Harry found a blond man lying on the ground after another dozen minutes. He froze in surprise.

"Malfoy?"

The man turned his head towards him. It was apparent that he recognised him as well.

"Potter, please help me. My son is lost," he whispered desperately.

"Scorpius is here with me. He's fine. He is very bright, he helped me find you."

"Thank you," Draco muttered.

"What were you doing that you fell off? Although I hate to admit it, you were really good at flying on a broomstick.''

Draco gave him a severe look.

"Someone threw us down. I have no idea who it was. He was dressed like a dementor."

"Um, you used to dress as a dementor, too," Harry pointed out scornfully. He recalled the years of their rivalry when Draco and his companions had used the dementor disguises to scare him in a Quidditch match.

"Now is not the time for your stupid jokes, Potter. It almost killed us. If Scorpius hadn't fallen on top of me...."

"Sorry," Harry whispered. Although he still hated Malfoy, he was somehow moved by how much he cared about his son. So he raises him alone. Harry was impressed.

"I have to get you out of here to Saint Mungo's hospital. You must have something broken if you can't get up.'

"I can't even move," Draco hissed.

"I'll levitate you, it won't be a problem."

"It is not possible. I can't afford to be seen."

"But why?"

"Take it as it is, Potter, and don't poke your nose into everything. You'll have to help me with Side-Along Apparition."

"I would hardly recommend it in your condition."

Draco gave him a murderous look. Harry nodded resignedly. "We will see what we can do.

And who should I send a message to take care of your son?"

This time, Draco gave him a sad look. "I do not have anybody. We're hiding, I don't want anyone to find him. People think he's Voldemort's son. They threaten us. Please, Harry, take care of him."

"You're not serious, Malfoy?"

He glared at Draco's face and remained utterly disarmed. Draco's eyes filled with tears.