I

°•» PROLOGUE «•°
The Costly Catalyst I

Princess Azira of Carsis

|°•~~~~~~|•×‡*°•‹·•.•·›•°*‡×•|~~~~~~•°|

Every people have their own beliefs, what is acceptable as well as what is considered a taboo.
The kingdom of Carsis was well-known for it's brute and archaic customs. If a member of the royal family was pregnant out of wedlock, she would be forced to commit suicide by jumping off the balcony of the south wing of the palace. After she had jumped, and was confirmed dead, a black flag would be hoisted high enough for all the people to see.
Other crude customs included the murder of any foreigners in their kingdom on the King's birthday and imprisonment of royals who did not posses the royal family's signature red hair.

These customs shaped Carsis into one of the most disciplined and feared kingdoms having conquered seven other great kingdoms and expanding it's territory. How they conquered all those kingdoms was a mystery.

The king had two well-mannered daughters and no male child, so his eldest daughter, Princess Tessa was his heir apparent. She was married to Duke Lemuel for six years and was without child. The duke was always reassuring her that they would have their baby soon but she had already sunk into depression. If she failed to have a child before the King abdicated the throne, her uncle, Duke Cyril would be crowned King.

Princess Azira, the second daughter was betrothed to King Gelder of Ariston. The two fell in love at first sight and so their marriage was not a compromise. King Gelder would often visit the palace just to set his sights on her even for a second. It wasn't a hassle as Ariston and Carsis shared boarders.

Two weeks after King Gelder had gone off to war with military support from Carsis, Princess Azira was found to be a week pregnant. As per custom, she was led to the infamous suicide balcony, bound in chains not locked but soldered instead and made to kneel facing the King. Only the men of the royal family were allowed on the balcony.

The King did not feel aggrieved and only gazed at her with arrant exasperation.

"Before you jump, tell me who the father of the child in your womb is." The king asked, facing away from her in disgust.

"King Gelder." Her voice came out evenly even though her body was a trembling mess.

"I've heard enough!" He paced about all the while glaring at her.

"Why don't we wait till King Gelder returns." Duke Cyril suggested.

"What rubbish? It doesn't matter if the father is present or not, she must die for having it out of wedlock in the first place. Could you not be a bit more patient Azira?! You've ruined my plans for Ariston because of your indecorous actions!"

"If... we could keep this a secret and rush the wedding, your plans would still be in order, right father?" She voiced out, with her head hung low.

"You think I am bothered about my plan?Are you that eager to become Queen of Ariston?! My biggest problem is that you're carrying some other man's seed! And you refuse to say who it was!"

"I have not lied father. I-"

"Silence! You are a week pregnant, yet King Gelder was gone two weeks ago, explain that to me Zira." She fell silent and the King hissed in disgust. "You're such a disgrace, you know that? Guards! Have her hair shaved off at once, I want to see nothing red on her head."

The royal guards obeyed and had Azira balded and shoved to the edge of the balcony.

"Azira, this is your last chance, who is it?" Cyril asked her.