Afterlife

"Stowaway! Throw her overboard" A man yelled.

"Please no, just let me go! Please!" the girl begged.

"Can you swim girl?"

The crew did not let her answer, they gagged her mouth and bound her hands and feet then tossed her over the side of the ship with no hesitation. Down she fell hard and fast; hitting the water felt like hitting rocks. All the air was stolen from her with the impact and every breath she tried to take was fruitless as she only inhaled salty seawater.

Attempting to swim only made her sink faster causing her to panic more as she watched the sun get smaller and smaller the deeper she sank. How far had she sunk now? She kicked her legs hard, desperate to free herself from the tight rope. Yet she found she could no longer move or separate her legs even a little. She twisted and squirmed every which way, hoping she could somehow survive. The pressure was becoming to much, she felt as if she might explode.

"Please, Goddess of the Ocean, save me..." she thought in a last attempt to live.

Finally she realized there was no point, it was too late to try and save herself; she would never reach the surface in time even if by some miracle she escaped the rope. The woman closed her eyes and waited for her death to release her. Except it never came, instead she landed on something flat. A reef? A sunken ship? Was there hope? She opened her eyes to discover she could see her surroundings perfectly clear despite the fact that there was no sun shining anywhere.

All around her was sand, fish, and sea creatures that thrived in the darkness of the ocean. It dawned upon her that she had landed at the bottom of the ocean, but it didn't make any sense! She could still breathe; then a thought crossed her mind

"I've died and this is where my spirit shall remain for eternity." unable to do anything else, she began to sob, regretting her decision to ever leave Europe. Soon her sobs turned in a tantrum as if she were a child again, flailing her arms and legs around. Screaming as loud as lungs would allow, then she noticed something was different. She no longer had a gag nor was she bound by rope. The gag had become gills to allow her to breathe underwater, the ropes used to make her drown had helped to morph her legs together to create a long deep blue tail with fins on her hips and mid-tail a light moss green. Her scream was no longer ear piercing but instead it was a beautiful song. Her hair changed from short and blonde to vibrant cyan that flowed like running water, her dark brown eyes that swallowed all color were now golden like the color of warm honey. The dirt that coated her porcelain colored skin had washed away and blue/green scales covered her arms and shoulders. Her hands were no longer normal but had grown into deadly claws and she felt her teeth had become sharper and it made her feel... powerful. She had not died, she became a new being. A Siren.

In that moment, she decided to make good of her new life; she now wanted to be called Diásosi. The name came to her easily, like it was her true name, she swam straight to the surface and screamed it to the world. Announcing her presence to everyone who dared be nearby.

Diasosi enjoyed the beautiful water that she never knew she belonged in. She stretched out her fins and swam as fast as she could past all the sunken ships, colorful corals, and hidden treasures of the ocean. She saw many of the useless artifacts that she thought she needed to survive in her previous life, never realizing till now that all of it made her life miserable. With that thought her smile grew as she sped past and launched out of the water giggling loudly and dove back in to the home that welcomed her with open arms. When Diasosi finally exhausted herself, she found a nice small cave filled with thousands of glittering crystals to sleep in. A place that has been untouched by man which has allowed it to stay perfect and beautiful. She closed her eyes and drifted into a blissful slumber.