Chapter Thirty-Two: Can You Stay?

Start from the beginning

"You were on the football team, right?" Kat asked, taking a sip of her drink.

"Not only was I on the team, I was captain of the team."

"I was a cheerleader for a year."

"Really?" I asked. Awkward, clumsy Kat? A cheerleader? "I didn't expect that."

"I wasn't very good at it. The girls were pretty mean. I got bullied until I quit."

"I'm sorry."

She waved it off. "I got bullied all the time. Shane would get so mad... he would pull up to the school and threaten the kids that bullied me. In the long run I think he just made it worse."

"Why would anyone bully you?" I asked. Even when we first met, Kat was the sweetest person to everyone around her. I couldn't imagine anyone picking on her.

"I was a nerd. And shy. It didn't help that they all knew who my dad was, and that he wasn't around often."

"For the record, I love your nerdy side," I told her. "And you certainly aren't shy anymore."

Kat was a social butterfly backstage. Everyone in the locker room loved her as far as I could tell. It was a different place than when I had left. Back in the day, Kat got grouped in with all the shit Paul and I got into. While I was gone she was able to make connections for herself.

"I can be," she admitted. "I'm not shy around you because I'm comfortable with you."

"I'm actually really proud of how much you've broken out of your shell," I said. "I can still remember when you were too embarrassed to kiss me in public."

A small smile grew on her face at the memory. "That feels like so long ago. We were so young... Well, I was."

"Yikes, low blow." I cringed. "I didn't even do anything to deserve that."

Kat giggled. "You're right, that one was uncalled for. But it doesn't make it untrue."

I sighed dramatically. "You're so mean to me. And after all I do for you. I'm here slaving away in the kitchen so that you can have a nice meal."

Kat hopped off the counter and kissed me sweetly. "Better?"

A smile spread across my face. "I don't know, I think we'll have to try again." I leaned in for a longer kiss. "Now I'm better."

Kat and I spent a little more time walking down memory lane while the food cooked. It didn't take long before we were sitting at the dining table, finishing up our meal. It wasn't 5 star restaurant material, but I thought it was decent.

"Are there any other hobbies or hidden talents I should know about?" I asked Kat. I'd told her about my new skills, but she hadn't said much about hers.

"I've tried lots of stuff, but nothing really sticks. My latest attempt was knitting, and I made actual monstrosities."

"They can't have been that bad."

"Trust me, they were. I've never seen anyone screw up a scarf that badly," she said. "I have kinda stuck with scrapbooking. You know I keep all my pictures. I have some baby books of Scottie."

One glance around Kat's home was enough to tell that she loved pictures. It seemed like every wall had a framed photograph. Most were of Scottie, but some were of Kat and her friends. Lots with Steph and Paul, plenty with Joli, and even a few with the second generation of DX boys.

I had only ever seen probably one picture of Scottie as a baby. I only knew her as the energetic four year old she was now. "Can I see them?"

"Of course," Kat answered.