002. rip clarence

EIGHT CLOSE-KNIT FRIENDS HUNG OUT at the basketball court in Hunter's neighborhood. It was Milena, Cam, and Kai against Logan, Hunter, and Scott Fitzgerald一 one of Hunter's longtime friends from the skate park一 while Karina and Kimberly got to know each other better as they were a cheerleader for each of the teams. Kimberly, who was an actual cheerleader, gave her newer friend a few pointers on cheering, and Karina gave her pointers on being cheerful. They evened each other out really well, maybe Logan had to keep a closer eye on his girlfriend in the near future.

Even though Milena was the odd one out, being the only girl, she was mopping the floor with the other team. If the other team had the ball, Cam and Kai would simply move out of the way and let her guard him because she may have been playing a game, but she didn't play about basketball. It was 12-7 with Milena's team in the lead, but all they needed were two baskets or one successful three-pointer, and they'd win the game.

Kai had the ball, dribbling it down the court. Hunter jogged up to him to guard, so Kai passed the ball to Cam, who was open and ready. After catching the ball, he sprinted a bit, doing a spin move around Scott to get past him and to the basket. Logan saw him about to shoot, so he ran his way. Milena gave him a look, raising her hands at the slightest so she could catch the ball but not enough to make it obvious. He noticed how far she was, and looked at her confused. They then went on a short compilation of facial expressions to communicate that went a little something like this:

Pass me the ball!

You're way too far, you won't make it!

Don't piss me off, just toss it!

He glanced at Logan one more time, before doing a fakeout shoot to pass the ball to Milena. She caught it, and from the three point line, she shot the ball一 and ended the game!

Logan scoffed, "How the hell did you do that?"

"Underestimating me is everyone's biggest mistake," she said, looking directly at Cam, who shifted nervously.

Kai grinned, walking up to Logan, Cam, and Milena. "Okay, Dolla-Dolla Mil! Nice one!"

He held his hand up for a high five, and she scrunched up her nose in disgust, reluctantly high fiving him. "Don't call me that."

The rest of the scattered friends surrounded her, giving her cheers and words of praise. Her phone started ringing, causing the celebration to stop. She smiled incredulously, telling her friends who was calling. "Guys, it's Miguel!"

She picked up the phone, putting it on speaker while everyone else huddled up. "Holy shit, Miguel! Hey! Uh-- how are you?"

"I read your note, what do you think?!" Miguel shouted. "What do you mean, La rosa de Guadalupe got canceled?"

They looked at her with confusion, and she held in her laughter.

"YouTube's off the app store, why did I even wake up..." He continued reading down the list, before suddenly screaming. "ELI'S GAY?"

Everyone else started busting out laughing, and the embarrassment on Miguel's end was loud.

"Okay, real funny, Lena," he said in a sarcastic tone. "I don't even know why I believed that一 La rosa de Guadalupe's never ending. What have I really missed?"

"Let's see, the cheerleaders started a fundraiser for you, so that's nice," she tried to think of any and everything to mention to him. "Also, both dojos are keeping to themselves, to at least something good came out of your near-death experience."